Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what material to store to be ready for goats and chickens?

Sheep are different than goats, goats are foragers and sheep eat grass......goats like leaves vines and weeds and acorns.....I just built a milking stand for hand milking.......Chickens like straw or grass in their nest boxes,,,,,,,,a solar light is a good idea,,,,,,yes, roofing matl, PVC pipe, plywood, 2x4s heavy staples, tarps,,,,,, I wouldn't go with troughs, you don't want the goats getting into the water( and they will),,,,even with 5 gal buckets, they manage to find a way to poop in them..I wouldn't waste money on "T-posts"....you need to find a good vet and plant the seed to barter.........you need to learn how to give shots, how/when to worm, how/when to disbud( dehorn) and whether or not to wether and how to, how to trim their hooves, how to help with birthing( in case of breech birth), how to ID and treat illess.....bucks will need to be separate from the does, so they'll need separate quarters.....birthing does like to have a closed in , safe, warm place.....get with folks who have goats and vollenteer alot of time and learn.

you'll need cattle panels to hold goats,, stick with the smaller breeds anything bigger than Nigerians can jump those panels.. easier to handle too. You will need storage drums for their feed, the kind that lock with the ring around the top.. loose salt,, minerals and soda for the goats,, Get a subscription to Dairy Goat Journal and Backyard Poultry magazines..if you're gonna have billies,, keep em separate for sure,you'll need a freezer for their milk of course and also look into building some goat tipis for unexpected lil ones off schedule kidding, it happens, you will need to know how to dehorn,, its not fun being held in the corner by a fully horned billy in his prime,,so get a dehorning iron and all the good first aid stuff for them..you can rotate the goats and chickens from pasture to pasture both manures are excellent, I ;ve actually raised all my goats on rabbit pellets, you'll need a big wooden box built to slide into your back end of your truck in case a doe has to be rushed to the vet for cesarean, it happened to a friend. yeah mik,, just talk to me about the stuff you need for both species,,wont steer ya wrong

I've had enough goats to last me a lifetime (4H projects), we no longer have them. Some lady came from 200 miles away to buy all seven goats we had in one trip, she put them all in her Dodge Caravan for the trip home. They would escape from, and destroy anything you can build trying to keep them in. I think if I were looking for SHTF meat supply, I would raise rabbits and chickens. We have had rabbits in the past for our 4H kids projects, and currently have about 20 chickens and another 20 ducks free ranging the farm.

I have 20 goats that I run in barb wire and three strand electric. They can escape any time they want, the key is to provide an environment inside the fence more appealing than out. Usually there is a ring leader who just won't stay in, eat that one.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.