Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Buzz: U.N. Warns of Bird Flu Resurgence

Default Health Buzz: U.N. Warns of Bird Flu Resurgence

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...flu-resurgence

Health Buzz: U.N. Warns of Bird Flu Resurgence

By Angela Haupt

Posted: August 30, 2011

United Nations Warns of Bird Flu Resurgence

Bird flu is making a comeback, the United Nations warned Monday. Though the deadly virus had been in decline since appearing in 2003, wild bird migrations have brought it back to previously virus-free countries, and a mutant strain has already killed people in Asia. Those most likely to be affected? Residents of Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Particularly worrisome is a new vaccine-resistant strain that's been detected in China and Vietnam. So far, no cases have been reported in the United States, the New York Times reports. Bird flu symptoms include fever, cough, muscle aches, sore throat, and eye infections; the virus can cause pneumonia, severe respiratory disease, and death. Typically, it spreads from infected birds to people, though human-to-human transmission is rare. People are most likely to get the virus if they have extensive contact with infected birds, often by working in poultry production. The U.N. is calling for countries to increase their surveillance of the virus and to take preventive steps.

Wasn't it about this time of year in 2009 that they were trying to panic us on the swine flu "pandemic"?
    Constitution of the United States 1787 All Rights Reserved.

Do people really worry about these things? Stuff like this does not even cross my mind. People are much more likely to be killed in a car accident, but no one worries about that. This is so insignificant to me.

This is an issue, much more so than the H1N1 strain. H1N1 had a lot of potential and did kill a significantly larger number of children as well as causing a large number of kids and young adults to experience a particularly nasty influenza illness than seasonal influenza. Luckily, the majority of people who caught it ony experienced minor symptoms. A lot of the parents that I interviewed, said that H1N1 hit their kids like a truck and caused them to be sicker than they had ever seen. So, for many parents who had children in the ICU or morgue, H1N1 was a big deal and wasn't hyped.

As for H5N1, this is of substantial concern, although the news story is misleading. The H5N1 strain has developed resistance to the vaccine that is being used to protect flocks of poultry. The problem is that because this influenza strain can now infect all flocks regardless of vaccination status, more outbreaks among birds will result in more human contact with sick birds which will result in more human cases. As the number of human cases increases, there is always the chance that the virus will change further and develop the capacity to be transmitted from person-to-person. H5N1 is a significant threat because right now it has an incredibly high case fatality rate (over 50%), It has been transmitted person-to-person in limited groups of people- mainly family members and close contacts, and it is not going away. If H5N1 gains the genetic material necessary to easily transmit from person-to-person (like H1N1) and retains even a small amount of it's ability to cause severe illness and death, it will cause a pandemic that will be very deadly and devastating. Imagine a virus that spreads like H1N1, but has a case fatality rate of 7% (which is much less than H5N1 currently). There will be millions of deaths in the US alone.

Believe it or not, this is a real threat, even more so than many of the other things that are thrown around these posts.

Still does not even concern me in the slightest. Earth is way to populated.

Do you count as one of these people who are overpopulating the earth?

Sure, but I have a better chance of survival than most. Especially since I have never in my life been sick with the flu, mumps, chicken pox, not even sure I have ever had a cold. Either way the numbers need to be lower than they are. Need a wide spread disease of some sort.

The media will always try and find something to scare the public. Wow Avian Flu. More people die from the common cold annually, what's the big deal? Only the misinformed will pay any attention to this garbage, oh and don't forget your flu shot. Lol.

Hey, this is just in time to coincide with the movie "Contagion". What a coincidence!!!
    Esse Quam Videri , Semper Paratus , My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by twinoaks View Post
    Hey, this is just in time to coincide with the movie "Contagion". What a coincidence!!!
    This is probably the only reason that the media picked up the story. H5N1 has been around for several years and has had some interesting developments (ex. clusters of human cases) in the past couple years without a peep from the MSM.