Thread: Tips, Tactics and Technics for Trappers

Howlingwolf, thanks for telling me that this thread was down here at the bottom of the site. I think due to its location and being one continuse thread it doesnt get much action. Perhaps a specific section under the survival forum deticated to everything to do with hunting, fishing and trapping would be better. It would be easier to find and get far more input than a single article buried in the how to section. I have trapped to varying degrees for 20 yrs now and have done ADC jobs for the conservation in 3 counties so I could help with some knowledgable info. We could even have a show off sticky to show off some of our harvest. Just a thought, Ill help all I can.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
    You are most welcome...

What have you caught so far? And have you eaten any of it?

Wolf
    I've been a trapper for thirty years+. Beaver is something that I look forward to frying up every November. Raccoon is also very tasty, but greasy. Muskrat makes a fine meal too.:shtf:
    Never Down and Out.........
    Always Ready..................

For the non commercial trapper, don't snares, and building snares without the stops make a lot more sense. For one you can carry dozens for the same weight as a few spring jaw style. Just saying as far as bugging and filling in the grocery list.

What does everyone think?

Thumbs up +1

Quote Originally Posted by Encato View Post
    nice but i like the very versital snair and are light compact

+1.
    Never Down and Out.........
    Always Ready..................

I guess that I am on the other end of the spectrum being in nuisance wildlife removal. I know both types of trapping as far as live (catch and release) and snare or spring. To be honest it has always been easier for someone who has no experience to trap using box live traps. You can bring the animal to the trap every time, and to catch something like a raccoon... It's almost a guaranteed catch in some areas (even more so than Florida) I know I can set a trap out my back porch door for a month with a few marshmallows or a bit of cat food and catch a coon, opossum, or cat every day. Just a thought and wanted your input.
    <~Confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar!!! Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!!! I wake up everyday and pray for zombies!

great job on this article, I trap way more than I gun hunt. I would be lost without a trapping season. I make snares and cable restraints for trapping also, a dozen snares weigh less than a pound. Snares also adjust to different sizes to fit your trail and target catch need's.

but each catch ruins that snare (usually) So you have to keep replacing the snare. Also, the snared animal really tears up the area, releases a lot of musk and fear scent, so you aint likely to catch another one there. snaring is ok if you're on the go, making the weight and bulk of traps a problem, but it's a compromise, like anything else. If the wrong people find that snared animal, it can cause you a lot of serious problems, too.