Thread: GPS based road user charges

Default GPS based road user charges

The new Finnish goverment (greens to be more accurate) has proposed a GPS based road user charges to ease congestion. That would mean installation of GPS tracker to every car.

Here, I translated the article for you.
    http://goo.gl/nYtlM

I think this is very dangerous concept, especially the privacy issues it raises. Even if they swore to not to gather any big-brotherish data.
    Also in Finland the lifetime of a car is something like 17 years, so installation of those kind of devices to that old cars sound a bit stupid.
    Has there been such proposals in other countries?

Yes.....this one.
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

They where planning this too in Holland but i think it got scrapped.

GPS-signal is way too easy to block. This has been proposed before, I don't think it'll ever work it's way into legislation.

That would be cool, just remove the device and leave it at your house. Drive around all you want without paying taxes.

Just joking no way in hell would that go in my car.

Oregon, California and Washington all looking at that because the decrease in local taxes from gasoline as they and the feds have regulated for higher mileage vehicles and the number of libtards buying hybrids.

Privatize the major roadways with toll to pay for those and major bridges. Do away with fed gas tax. Local gas tax forblocal roads.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.

One reason why they keep suggesting gps-based road tax is electric cars. You can tax fuel all you want but it won't affect electric cars. Then again if you raise the electricity tax as high as fuel taxes already are, this country will screech to halt.