Thread: Uses for Sugar

Default Uses for Sugar

*Wasp Trap
    Boil 2 ounces of sugar and a little water in a pan to make a sticky liquid. Pour this into empty jars, or a dish and leave in the open where wasps will be attracted to sweetness. They go into the liquid to feed and cant get out.

*Start a Fire
    If you have trouble getting a coal, or wood fire to burn throw a handful of sugar onto it. The sugar will ignite and help get the fire going

*Kill Cockroaches
    Mix equal parts of sugar and baking powder. Sugar attracts these horrible creatures and baking powder kills them

*WOUND FIRST AID: Cuts and scraped skin benefit from sugar. Sugar is an antibiotic that naturally kills germs. Not only will that it speed the healing of the skin tissue. Clean wound and sprinkle a little over the cut or scrape.

*PAIN: Studies show that sugar water intake can help INFANTS recovery from the pain of the needle during doctor visits. Simply give 1-4 servings of sugar water instead of plain water before the immunization appointment.

*PAIN: If you are suffering from neck pain, studies show that injections of sugar water can help. If nothing else is helping ask your doctor about Prolotherapy. It helps many patients reduce their pain medications

*SKIN REPAIR: - Healing skin and smoothing its appearance. Make a facial & neck scrub of cup sugar and 1/3 C canola oil. You can add oil essences if you like. Use as a gentle face scrub, using gentle circular motions with fingers. Leave on for a few minutes to maximize effects. Rinse off in shower.

i had absolutely no idea that sugar will burn,,, i'll keep that one in mind.
    ''the heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left'' Ecclesiastes 10:2 [ NIV ]

Does that mean I should NOT smoke when I'm doing the morning Java?
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

lol i think u will be ok i know there is probly more uses but google was failing me today

Sugar and saltpeter meted together, poured into a TP tube or paper-towel tube with a fuse stuck in it generates a huge amount of smoke, DO NOT DO THIS IN YOUR KITCHEN... long story, but bad end results, do it outdoors, and use a candy boiler/double boiler. The ratio is about 3 parts potassium nitrate to 2 parts sugar (if you want to try this check the laws in your area, and do it at your own risk, the instructions are all over the web for this chemistry project)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ridge View Post
    Sugar and saltpeter meted together, poured into a TP tube or paper-towel tube with a fuse stuck in it generates a huge amount of smoke, DO NOT DO THIS IN YOUR KITCHEN... long story, but bad end results, do it outdoors, and use a candy boiler/double boiler. The ratio is about 3 parts potassium nitrate to 2 parts sugar (if you want to try this check the laws in your area, and do it at your own risk, the instructions are all over the web for this chemistry project)
    Similar thing happened to us. The first time we made one we tried to caramelize the sugar for a longer thicker smoke burn. The problem was that we mixed the salt peter in with the sugar Before heating (Note : I was a kid when we did this). The entire 2000sq ft AG shop was filled in about 10 seconds with smoke. I had to put my hands on the walls and follow them to the door. Then we had 2 hours worth of slowing letting the roll up door up to let out smoke and then stop before someone saw us doing it. It took forever. Lesson learned.

I have read before that sugar was useful from an antibiotic standpoint. Did not know about the others on the list, definitely good to know.

cool my 1st sticky. please add to the info if ya'll know any others

I hear it is also good in baked goods.
    "nolite te bastardes carborundorum"

Extreme use of sugar is not good for health.

sodium chlorate and sugar is a base explosive, potassium permanganate also works.

sugar itself isn't antiseptic but what it is hydrophilic so it sucks the moisture out of bacteria to kill it and helps to seal the wound from the air. the Egyptians first documented its use to heal wounds, the Chinese used salt but salt is actually antiseptic. both are cheap long lasting and tradeable.

sugar and water in a pop bottle with a drop of yeast gives you a cheap alcohol base you can distill or flavour to trade/party with fizzy or flat. that will also work in your wasp trap and uses less sugar.

if you have that many wasps around then use beer, when you have enough cut open the tin add flour and deep fry. tempura wasp. high in protein and the heat kills the venom.

on the wasp front if you get bothered then trap the first one and it wont go and get his buddies.
    Where there is Tea, there is hope - W.Churchill 1939 (probably)