Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uses for Salt

Sorry, there wasn't any sign that you were being facetious, maybe it was overshadowed by my being grateful that you didn't say "old" wives tale.
    My blog: http://phoebe53.wordpress.com/

It still is. The burn center used the saltwater bath either for major skin healing/replacement, and/or muscle rehab, or both.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd think about you more often.

I dream of a tomorrow where a chicken can cross the road without his motives being questioned.

I didn't know we had "Old Wives" on here...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry

Any Man Who thinks He Can Be Prosperous By Letting The Government Take Care Of Him, Better Take A Closer Look At The American Indian

glad to see ya'll liked the info im sure there is more uses i just couldnt find any that i thought would be usefull in a shtf time. as far as a sticky i would say leave it in general or equipment

Just bought 50 lbs of salt to add to my preps just because i figure there must be hundreds of uses

We use salt to kill grass in teh cracks and in our black rock paths...just sprinkle it about with a broadcast spreader or by hand like you'd throw chicken scratch.

What about adding: Use salt to preserve meat and fish...

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    best buy on salt is at Tractor Supply. get the 99.7% pure salt blocks, not those with the minerals added. 40lbs should be 7-8 bucks. Easy to stack and move around - just keep out of water.
    bought some of these some time back.....good price
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

Salt in the ice for your beer will make your beer colder. One of the best books I've ever read was I think, just titled "Salt". All about salt. Salt in times past was a very valuable resource. "Worth your weight", (in salt) and all that.

Default Happy salt

Quote Originally Posted by twoll86 View Post
    * Test for rotten eggs. Put an egg in a cup of water to which you've added two teaspoons of salt. A fresh egg will sink, but one that's iffy will float.

* Repel fleas. Wash the doghouse with it.

* Soothe a bee sting. Wet the sting right away, then cover it with salt.

* Keep radishes safe in the garden. Salt worms (cutworms) will be repelled if you sprinkle seeds with table salt, then cover with dirt.

* Soak fish in salt water before descaling; the scales will come off easier.

*Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon salt in 8 ounces room temperature water. Draw mixture into a nose dropper, and inhale liquid through your nostrils. Repeat several times for each nostril, using 2 or 3 drops of the solution each time. When you are through, blow your nose until no discharge remains

* Rinse a sore eye with a little salt water

*Mildly salted water makes an effective mouthwash. Use it hot for a sore throat gargle

* Use salt for killing weeds in your lawn

* Milk stays fresh longer when a little salt is added

* Use equal parts of salt and baking soda for brushing your teeth.

*A saltwater soak can do wonders for that special mosquito-bite itch -- a poultice of salt mixed with olive oil can help too.

*Deter ants. Sprinkle salt at doorways, window sills, and anywhere else ants sneak into your house. Ants don't like to walk on salt.

*Kill poison ivy. Mix three pounds of salt with a gallon of soapy water (use a gentle dish soap) and apply to leaves and stems with a sprayer, avoiding any plant life that you want to keep.

* Keep chicken or turkey moist. Rub salt in the cavity of the bird before cooking.

*To remove bloodstains from material, sprinkle with salt and rinse with cold water!

*Apply salt to a cut to draw out infection and promote healing (better still – take medical advice)!

*Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon salt in 8 ounces room temperature water. Draw mixture into a nose dropper, and inhale liquid through your nostrils. Repeat several times for each nostril, using 2 or 3 drops of the solution each time. When you are through, blow your nose until no discharge remains

*Kill poison ivy. Mix three pounds of salt with a gallon of soapy water (use a gentle dish soap) and apply to leaves and stems with a sprayer, avoiding any plant life that you want to keep.
    It is funny and good that one of the things you said was (KILL) poison ivy. Salt is a real killer, in fact it was use in the beginning to kill bacteria on food and preserve the food. Then there were societies that began to use it to lower the spiritual nature of the countries they conquered. I loved your post, it was timely.