Thread: Fuel Storage

Cool Fuel Storage

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has found a way to stop plastic gas containers from expanding, or if it is something to not worry about. Down here in FL, it does get quite warm, and metal drums are out of the question due to HOA regulations & space restrictions. Maybe only filling them 3/4 of the way? Or go all the way to the top? Would stabil help? I find myself "bleeding" them almost once a week, more often in the warm season (9 months out of 12), thanks in advance

Pri-G for stabil storage. Has does the gas work after bleeding of pressure (and volitiles) once a week? Thats why I like cool montana with no enforced regulations.

Every time you bleed it..... you are reducing the life and usability of the gas. It is perfectly normal for plastic containers to bulge when you store gas in them. Even the plastic military cans bulge like crazy. It's all good, unless you are using a container not specifically designed to store it.

Well the newer (government mandated, one size fit all) storage containers shouldn't bulge because their not airtight.
    ...because without American there is no free world...you betcha!

Even after some months of "bleeding" all of the fuel worked well

Excellent information, thank you all

Keep the containers full. A liquid expands less than a gas.

Modern gasoline (especially winter blends in some areas) have butane gas dissolved in the liquid. Whenever you have a liquid that has a gas dissolved in it, that gas will tend to come out of solution as the temp rises. Look at soda pop for instance. CO2 (carbon dioxide) is dissolved in water. If you leave that can of soda open a while, all the fizz will go out, it will go "flat". You notice this happens much more readily when the soda is warm, in fact explosively if you shake the can and then pop the top. As the temp warms up, some of the butane comes out of solution and makes the gasoline container swell with the gas pressure. You open the top and butane gas rushes out with a hisssssss. It goes without saying you wouldn't want to be anywhere near a heat source or spark (battery cables, switches, lit cig, etc) when that happens because of course butane is highly flamable. The gasoline will still be perfectly fine... oh, it may be a tad "flat" in cold weather but should still be perfectly usable.

This is one reason why your gasoline storage should be in a very well ventillated area. Imagine a dozen gasoline cans out-gassing butane for a few months, then you walk into the storage shed and flip on the light switch or your flashlight.... OOPS!
    The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

as Sgt.Mac stated Dont bleed the containers and I would fill them as full as possible the less air there is the less it expands I have left gas in 5 gal Blitz cans for a year and it is GTG .