Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to protect against nuclear fallout

Default How to protect against nuclear fallout

As Japan declares a state of nuclear emergency today, the possibility of a nuclear fallout effecting the island increases. Due to wind patterns this fallout is a very real threat to those in North America, from Northern British Columbia to Middle California.

This morning newscasts were interviewing experts who are now saying it may not be a bad idea for people on the West coast to begin preparing for potential fallout reaching our beaches and well into mid-west Canada/USA. (see article here)

This is alarming to me because first off, we know they're covering up the true extent of the damage and potential damage to save face and keep everyone calm, and secondly this could have major consequences on the well-being of people even here in North America.

Aside from potassium iodide (if you don't know of it's benefits, please take time to research) what can one do to prepare for nuclear fallout? I can't imagine much, but that's what y'all are here for!

cheers.

p.s. sorry if this thread is somewhere else, if it is feel free to let me know and delete the thread.
    Keys to survival: Dodge, Duck, Dip Dive...and Dodge!

A well-put-together guide is here: http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm titled: WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT! I'm sure most of you have already seen it or read it but there are a few pertinent sections for the current situation. Bottom line, it IS survivable with proper.... PREPARATION. Gee, good thing we're all on the same page, huh?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--. . . ."

Contamination problems from a reactor breach are much different than from a nuclear detonation. Mainly, there is no massive explosion/heat bloom to suck stuff 12 or 13 miles into the stratosphere, to get blown around the world; and the mix of radioactive materials is quite different.

And, Japan is about 4300 nautical miles from (say) San Francisco, and at a pretty good average wind speed of 25 mph (21 knots) it would take about 8 days for the fallout to get there.

While it's traveling, it's 'falling out' of the sky: Radioactive stuff is heavy. It also doesn't have nearly as far to fall since it didn't get sucked up into the jet stream. So, it isn't going to go far.

Now, if profound amounts of nuclear material get into the water supply it could be bad - there. A containment breach could contaminate ground around the plants (and perhaps for a few kilometers downwind) quite a bit. Sucks to be there, no doubt about it.

But, as a threat to N. America? I'm not worried.
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Contamination problems from a reactor breach are much different than from a nuclear detonation. Mainly, there is no massive explosion/heat bloom to suck stuff 12 or 13 miles into the stratosphere, to get blown around the world; and the mix of radioactive materials is quite different.

And, Japan is about 4300 nautical miles from (say) San Francisco, and at a pretty good average wind speed of 25 mph (21 knots) it would take about 8 days for the fallout to get there.

While it's traveling, it's 'falling out' of the sky: Radioactive stuff is heavy. It also doesn't have nearly as far to fall since it didn't get sucked up into the jet stream. So, it isn't going to go far.

Now, if profound amounts of nuclear material get into the water supply it could be bad - there. A containment breach could contaminate ground around the plants (and perhaps for a few kilometers downwind) quite a bit. Sucks to be there, no doubt about it.

But, as a threat to N. America? I'm not worried.
    No one seems to be too worried about these shtf scenarios right now, but I did find it interesting how even mainstream news stations were mentioning potential N.American effects this early in the game.
    Keys to survival: Dodge, Duck, Dip Dive...and Dodge!

Fidel mentioned 8 days to get here on low level winds. That's good news. The half life of iodine 131 is coincidentally 8 days. And that's a lot of ocean to cross, with other winds and hopefully rain squalls to wash it out of the air.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--. . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    No one seems to be too worried about these shtf scenarios right now, but I did find it interesting how even mainstream news stations were mentioning potential N.American effects this early in the game.
    scary story + concerned Americans = increased advertising revenue

I was moving back to Idaho next month from SF Bay Area. May have to escalate that.

Thanks for the link MT_Rick, good resource.
    Paul

COVER UP

It has been suggested that something is going on.

Westinghouse built the reactors.

The quake numbers keep changing.

The reactors were built to withstand X amount of quake severity. The reactors have failed.

So it would be in someones best interest to avoid massive lawsuits...to increase the number so they can say look it way way bigger so don't blame us.

I 10 is the biggest earthquake ...nuclear plants should be made to take a 20.....case closed.

No, the reactors didn't fail. They worked exactly as planned, and automatically SCRAMMED. Then the emergency cooling systems were supposed to kick in - they did, but were engineered for a 12 foot (4 meter) tsunami....instead they got a 8 meter tsunami (twice as big as anticipated....after all this is the largest EQ they've had in recorded history there), which took out the emergency generators that powered the cooling systems.

Without cooling systems the residual heat in the reactors has nowhere to go....and causes the problems we are seeing. One of the reactors was a Westinghouse design, the other was a Toshiba. So, not many grounds for conspiracy.
    Good medicine in bad places