Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food grade bucket question

Default Food grade bucket question

Do I need food grade buckets if the food (rice,beans,flour,wheat) is going to be kept in mylar bags? I've been thinking about using 5 gallon buckets from Home depot or Lowes, the buckets will stay out of light, probably in a closet.
    I still hate commies, even after they changed their name to liberals...

Yes, I think you need food grade buckets to protect the mylar getting ripped or punctured. WM has white 70 mil buckets for $2.50 with the lid being a dollar. These buckets aren't as tough as the 90 mil restaurant quality food buckets, but good enough to protect the mylar. I have all my wheat, rice, sugar, and other commodities in mylar bags sealed with O2 absorbers inside, then sealed with an o2 absorber outside the bag but in the bucket. Incidently, I sealed the mylar bags with a clothes iron. Don't forget to place rodent traps/poison in your food storage area. I lost a bucket of wheat to the lil buggers.
    Never confuse kindness with weakness.

If your mylar bag is sealed I don't see that one of those buckets would be an issue. I do know the those types of buckets seem to degrade or have a much shorter shelf life than the food grade buckets.

AFNAV82, how could a smooth bucket tear a mylar bag, and what is WM? Bobalou, yes the regular buckets do degrade faster, but I'm thinking if they are kept in a cool dark place, they will last a long time.
    I still hate commies, even after they changed their name to liberals...

They don't have to be food grade. The bucket protects the mylar. The value in food grade buckets are that usually they're more robust (90 mil thickness as opposed to the 70-mil thickness typical of the WM--Wal-Mart--or Lowes type of buckets), and they *can* be used for food storage and other things post-SHTF.

Check with your box store food warehouses, Sam's, Costco and Walmart, the bakery department. I'm getting 2, 3 and 5 gallon icing buckets for 50 cents to a dollar. These include the lid and gasket. Sometimes the 5 gallon are out, but seems no one is requesting the smaller ones and I find them easier to handle. Score!
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X

I have been able to get a ton of the 3.5 gallon buckets from a local bakery. Granted they are not as large as the 5 gallon, but in my advanced age, they are a heck of a lot easier to pick up and move. At first they were free, then 50 cents, and the last ones I got, I paid $1.50 each for them. Still they are a bargain any way you look at it.

When I get to the point of storing for long term using buckets, I will use food grade buckets. My thought is that I could be in a situation where I no longer have mylar bags or oxygen absorbers, so I could store food directly in the bucket. I would rather use a food grade bucket in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootstalker View Post
    Do I need food grade buckets if the food (rice,beans,flour,wheat) is going to be kept in mylar bags? I've been thinking about using 5 gallon buckets from Home depot or Lowes, the buckets will stay out of light, probably in a closet.
    This may help. http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.p...t-is-food-safe

I have a bunch of Home Depot (or like) buckets. Put my food in mylar with o2 absorbers and just put the lid on tight. I have a controlled environment to store them in and not concerned at all about damage. They are around $2.50 for the bucket and a buck for the lid. If you're just putting your food into a bucket without mylar then yes, you need food grade buckets for that.
    The difference between stupidity and ignorance is that ignorance is a choice.