Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: mammy magic's recipes (food)

Default mammy magic's recipes (food)

As some of you remember my herb medicine recipes, i had so much fun posting them and thought i would continue with those as well as posting the other recipes here, i hope they will be a big hit as the medicine ones, please check back to see what has been added, feel free to share.......

Homemade Chicken Broth

1 1/2- quarts boiling water
    Backs, wings and necks of 2-3 chickens
    1- onion (quartered)
    1- carrot (quartered)
    2- ribs celery with leaves (diced)
    1- teaspoon sea salt
    4- peppercorns
    2- bay leaves
    2- sprigs parsley

To the boiling water in a large saucepan, add remaining ingredients, cover and let simmer two hours. Strain. Concentrate by boiling if necessary for richer flavor.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Beef Broth

4- pounds shin or shank of beef (cut in slices)
    3- pounds soup bones
    2- pounds beef flanken,skirt or chuck (cut up)
    water
    1- large onion
    2- carrots (quartered)
    2- ribs celery with leaves (quartered)
    2- bay leaves
    2- sprigs parsley
    1 1/2- tablespoon sea salt
    1- leek (halved)

1- Place shin, bones and beef in a large kettle. Add cold water to cover (about 3 qaurts). Bring to a boil and boil 10 minutes,skimming off surface scum as it forms.
    2- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer 4 hours. Strain through a fine straier. Remove meat from bones and return to broth or use in casserole dish. Taste strained broth and if not stong enough, concerntrate by boiling rapidly, uncovered.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corn Meal Soup

1/4- cup stoneground corn meal
    1/2- cup cold water
    1- qaurt boiling chicken broth or beef broth

Mix the corn meal with the water and gradually stir into the boiling broth. Simmer, stirring, 15 minutes.
    ******* If you don't stand behind our troops, then stand in front of them!*******

This turns some folks off, but, if you have a real butcher nearby, you can get chicken feet for next to nothing and they make the very best chicken stock as well. Keep those recipes coming. Great thread.

any many other countries nothing is wasted.. understand about the feet.. no problem..tweak the recipes and add the homemade consomme recipe to go with also I make a boss turkey stock when I do oven roasted turkeys.. save the carcass and use it..

That corn meal soup brings back memories. I have had about 10,000 servings in my lifetime. it used to be the go to side dish for my grandma.

thanks piranha2,i have alot of the old recipes, they tend to streach farther and inged. are easer to come by
    ******* If you don't stand behind our troops, then stand in front of them!*******

here is my potato soup that all my friends LOVE, it is a more $$$ recipe, and more work to make but OHHHHH so GOOD.......

Best Potato Soup

5-pounds red potatos (skin on)
    1- large onion (diced)
    4- stalks of celery (diced)
    2- pounds of baccon
    1/2- gallon of milk
    2- small containers of heavy whipping cream
    1- tablespoon salt
    3-4 -tablespoons chicken base
    1 1/2- sticks of margarine
    1- cup of flour

"in potato pan:
    cut 5 pounds potatos into bit size peices, leaving skins on (cook till almost done). drain water out and aside.
    in frying pan:
    dice up large onion, dice up 4 stalks celery and cut up 2 pounds of baccon. suta above ingredients and drain grease, add this to potatos.
    in potato pan:
    pour 1/2 gallon of milk , 2 med. containers of heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of salt and 3-4 tablespoons of chicken base. in frying pan:
    melt 1 1/2 sticks of margarine add 1 cup of flour, stirring constantly until starts to ball up (this is the thickener) then pour in thickener to potato pan, heat on low,
    ENJOY

A bulk recipe, great for SHTF...

Hot Coco Mix (BULK)

10 1/2- cups non-fat powdered milk
    4-cups confectioners sugar (powder sugar)
    2- (8oz.) jars flavored non-dariy powdered creamer (i use irish cream)
    3 1/2- cups Nestle Quik (i use 5 cups, the old man loves it)
    2 3/4- cups creamer
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Directions: 3- heaping tablespoons of coco mix into 1- cup hot water or milk.

mommy magic, that potato soup sounds fitting. i might cut the recipe in half, and try some,, but,, what exactly is ''chicken base'',,, chicken broth????

leswill, not chicken broth-liquid, not chicken bullion- whitch is cubes, chicken base is a powder that comes in a jar. When you try it come back and let me know if you liked it.

ill be posting more real soon