Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: mammy magic's recipes (food)

Old-fashioned bean soup mix (bulk recipe)

4- cups dried great northern beans
    4- cups dried Lima beans
    4- cups dried pinto beans
    4- cups dried black beans
    4- cups dried yellow split peas
    4- cups dried green split peas

mix beans into storage container, mix well.
    TO USE: put desired amount of mixed beans into large pot, along with a ham or beef or venison bone if you wish, add whatever dried herbs and spices that tickle your fancy along with some chopped carrots celery, onion and garlic and bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender and meat if used, is cooked. taste and adjust seasoning. for variation: try adding barely, wheat berries, or other grains to the bean mix.
    ******* If you don't stand behind our troops, then stand in front of them!*******

Indian Lemonade

Indian lemonade is made by soaking the red Sumac berries in hot water from the
    faucet. Don't use boiling water, and don't wash them or you'll wash
    away all the goody. use about 2- cups of berries to 2- liters of
    water. Remove the stems, soak the berries for half an hour,stirring
    occasionally. Thenstrain the juice, to get rid of the hair,through a
    couple of layers of cloth- an old sheet, a pillowcase, or a jelly
    bag, and then a second time through a coffee filter. add sugar or
    other sweetener to taste. presto! Indian Lemonade!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Sumac rubber candy

Bring one cup indian lemonade, already sweetened, just to a boil.
    Add 2- envelopes of unflavored gelatin, and mix until completely
    dissolved. Pour into an 8X8 or 8X10 baking pan,and refrigerate for
    about an hour. Cut and serve.

NOTE: there is ONLY one species of sumac that is poisonous, and it
    can not be mistaken for the edible ones. All edible ones have
    berries in a terminal clusters in some shade of red.Poison sumac has
    white berries.
    ******* If you don't stand behind our troops, then stand in front of them!*******

Hardtack

3- cups flour
    2- teaspoons salt
    1- cup water

in a large bowl, mix flour and salt, add water and stir or work with hands to blend. knead dough, adding more flour if mixture becomes sticky. turn out onto a floured board, roll dough into a rectrangle 1/2 inch thick, using a sharp knife, cut dough into 3 inch squares. using clean nail, poke 16 holes though each square. bake @ 375% for 25 minutes or until brown. store in an airtight container

makes 12
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

i cant remember where i get some of the recipes,so PLEASE know that i do not take any creadit for any of the recipes that i post..... i get them from other forums, books, magazines and such. i just post them so that everyone can enjoy them and so that there in one spot for everyone.
    sorry guys, i have reposted this recipe here cuz i wrongly posted it in me other thread (homemade medicine recipes in Emergency Medical Care and First Aid on this forum, again sorry for the blond moment!!!!! lol

this recipe i got from a forum and it asked the the name NOT be changed.........PLEASE honor his wishes!!!!!!!
    we use this one ALL the time, we have 6 tubes of it in the freezer....

Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

2- parts honey
    2- parts corn flour (not corn meal)
    1- part peanut butter
    mix thoughly, pack into Coghlan's sqeeze tubes, or cold weather wrap in wax paper.
    singal sqeeze tube proportions 2-3 lunches w/ large tortilla...
    8- tablespoons honey, 8- tablespoons corn flour, 4- tablespoons peanut butter.
    Last edited by mommy magic; 03-10-2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: re-posted cuz posted it in wrong spot!

mammymagic's
    where are your herbal recipies? I 'm not finding them Are they under medicines?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katieo View Post
    mammymagic's
    where are your herbal recipies? I 'm not finding them Are they under medicines?
    Thanks
    http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.p...dicine-recipes

Meatless Magic

I got this from the Extension Office back in 1982. They had a class on economical meals for the "Recession". It's actually pretty good and seems to use some prep foods..

1 package yeast in 1/4 c warm water
    1 7oz can evaporated milk
    3 1/2 c rolled oats
    1 chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 can cream of mushroom soup

Combine yeast and milk. Add rest of ingredients, except soup. Let mixture stand for a few minutes, thaqn form into patties and brown in hot oil. Put in casserole. Spoon on soup. Bake at 375 degrees for twenty minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by mommy magic View Post
    POTATO SOUP TO GO MIX

Stir together the following ingredients, and store them in an airtight jar:

1 3/4 cups instant potato flakes
    1 1/2 cup dries powdered milk
    2 tbs. chicken bullion granules
    2 tsp. parsley
    1 1/2 tsp. dried onion flakes
    1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/4 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    1/8 tsp. turmeric

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until mixed.
    Store in a 1 quart, airtight jar.

To make soup:
    Put 1/2 cup mix into a bowl. Add 1 cup boiling water.
    Hey mommy,

Any idea what the shelf life is for this?

Thanks,

Bruce
    -Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle-

mommymajic, You're back!! I too have a binder of your herbal remedies. Am adding the recipies as well.Thank you thank you.
    One of the things my mother made when I was growing up was rice with chicken gumbo soup. Since there was 7 of us, Mom, dad and 5 kids. things were tight so for dinner she would make 2(3) cups of rice, per directions, to fill the 4 qt pyrex mixing bowl, put two cans of chicken gumbo soup in it and bake in the oven till it got hot. For us that was dinner a lot of times. Pop got the meat, as he was the bread winner, we got the rice/soup mix. Some times when she could afford it she'd put some tuna or fried burger in it. For a long while I couldn't even look at or eat rice after I got growed up but it was filling and easy to make back then. I eat rice now, part of the diet cardio has me on but it took me awhile to start eating it again.. She also made tuna ala king, two cans of tuna in a white sauce (flour, butter, milk) over toast. She did the same thing with hard boiled eggs in the white sauce over toast. Pop would make his SOS with ground beef in a white sauce over toast.

Mammy, yer makin' me awful hungry ! Thanks for posting - I'll be watching !