Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snowed In

The kids had arrived, and the grandkids were playing around in the living room, shaking boxes under the tree to see if they could guess what might be in there for them. Bill loved Christmas time, despite missing his wife. It was her favorite time of the year, and with her gone, Bill carried her love for the holidays in his heart. He wished she could see her grandkids now, how they've grown.

Erin was helping in the kitchen, getting the food set out for their meal. His sons had gone to gather some more wood for the fire. Bill took in the scene laid out in front of him. It was very much a scene you'd see on a Norman Rockwell print.

"Hey dad, dinner's about ready. I'll go round up everyone." Erin said.

"Ok, dear. Give me a few minutes. Joe from the hardware store is pulling in. He had some important news he wanted to discuss with me," Bill replied, making air quotes with his fingers at the word important.

Erin chuckled and said, "Ok dad. No problem. I'll have the kids go wash up and get them started.

Bill put on his coat and winter cap and walked out onto the front porch as Joe pulled into his driveway. The two men chatted for about ten minutes, and Bill came back in the house.

"That boy is a bit on the cooky side," Bill said as he walked into the kitchen to join the family at the dinner table.

"What did he want dad?" asked Erin.

"Aw nothing honey. He's what you might call a conspiracy theorist of sorts. Thinks he's a private detective." he said humorously. "He's just got too much time on his hands. Let's eat."

After dinner the kids opened their presents and couldn't wait to begin playing with them. The adults gathered in the den and sat near the fire, sipping on coffee and egg nog. They were sharing stories and reminiscing. Suddenly, Beau spoke up. "Bill, any leads on the assault the other night?"

"Well, no, Beau, I'm kinda at a dead end," replied Bill. "You know anything." he said jokingly.

"Who me? No. I don't know a thing. Just curious is all." Beau answered.

The next couple of hours flew by as the family spent some quality time hanging out and watching Christmas shows on the television. Before they knew it, it was nearly 9pm
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.

Sorry for the delays. With the winter weather, I've been sidetracked, and had a bit of writer's block. Be back soon...
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.

"I'm so glad you guys are here with me on Christmas. It means a lot. It's getting kind of late. Why don't you all just stay here tonight. I'll pull out some air mattresses and sleeping bags and we can all just crash here like we used to do when you all were kids." Bill suggested.

"Yeah, that would be a good idea!" one of his sons exclaimed. "It would be like old times."

"I'm in! Let's do it." was Erin's response. "What do you say Beau? Let's stay here with dad tonight."

Beau looked a little perplexed by the sudden arrangement that was made, but he replied "Sure, if that's what you want to do."

Content that the family would be with him for the night, Bill and his sons went to the back room and brought out some of the stored air mattresses, several sleeping bags, and extra pillows.

"I'm going to go out and bring in some more wood, Bill." said Beau. "I figure we'll need it for the rest of the night. I'll be right back."

While Beau went outside to gather wood, the rest of the family arranged the mattresses and sleeping bags, and Erin put some hot chocolate on the stove to heat up for the kids. As Beau came back in, he placed the wood on the hearth of the fireplace, put a couple of logs on the fire. He stood up and turned around, with his back toward the fire and announced, "Before everyone gets all settled down I have one last Christmas surprise for you all."

The family turned their attention to Beau in anticipation of what he was about to say. No one expected it when he reached behind his back and pulled out a revolver, while simultaneously grabbing his own wife from behind and holding the pistol to her head. Shock filled the room. The kids began to cry in the confusion.

"Now Beau, put the gun down. Why would you want to harm your own wife?" Bill said, his cop instincts kicking in, but being blurred a little bit by the fact that his own daughter was in immediate danger. "Why are you doing this?"

"Oh, you don't remember, Bill?! You don't remember? Think a little bit, Bill. You killed my family." Beau screamed. "Now, I'm going to return the favor. You think it was an accident that I picked your daughter to fall in love with? That I picked this podunk town for my winter vacations when I was single? I've waited 25 years for this moment."

"Now, son, I don't have a clue what you're talking about." Bill replied. "You need to put that gun down before you hurt some one, or yourself." As he was talking to his hostage taker, Bill was slowly walking his way around the living room to his right, which caused Beau to slowly walk to his right, closer to the windows at the front of the cabin.
    Suddenly, a loud noise came from the front door. It sounded like a battering ram was being used. Beau flinched as he turned toward the door, in expectation of someone making there way through into the house. Using the moment, Erin lunged forward and slipped from the grip of her deranged husband. In anger, Beau swung the revolver back to his left to pick out a possible target. Everyone hit the floor in fear for their lives. BOOM!

In the hysteria of the moment, no one could hear the slight sound of glass break as the 30.06 round penetrated the front window on its path toward the right side of Beau's head. Bill lifted his face to see his son in law lying in an ever growing pool of his own blood. There on the floor was the revolver that Bill's wife had given him so many years ago.

Grasping what had gone on, Erin was in complete shock as her husband lay dead in the living room of her father's house. How could he have just tried to take her hostage? What was going on?

The front door was opened, and in walked Joe from the hardware store holding his hunting rifle, and Rob, the young cop from Bill's office. "I hate to say 'I told you so', Bill, but...well, I'm just glad you're alright." Joe said.

"No, Joe. We owe you our lives. Your cop instincts and sneaking suspicions paid off. You did some good research. I'm just glad no one saw the mic you planted on me earlier tonight. When did you know for sure?" Bill mused.

"Well, Rob and I were staked out in the woods over there, and when Beau came out to get that firewood, he stopped by his car and put the revolver in his back waistband. I figured we needed to move." Joe responded. "Wasn't real sure how it was going to go down until I saw him moving closer to the windows. I had Rob kick the door just enough to make him react. We got lucky."

"Yeah, Joe. We got lucky indeed." Bill said as he turned to tend to his family.

The end.

Man, I didn't see that coming. I like it.

Holy Cow! I like it ,BUT now I want the rest of the story. Killed his family? Man always the cliffhangers. I really liked the story and style.

I kind of left the past open to your own imagination...adds to the suspense...

Not fair. Wtf happend to the family and where is the back story. You can't end on a cliffhanger. Not nice, but a good story.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I enjoyed the story until the last installment. I think you rushed the ending too much. But what is that they say about always leaving them wanting more?

Ok !
    After six years it is time for you to give us more . You have talent son ,now share it with us please
    teach the children well and they will survive