Hey, Old Sarge, ever seen a chimney explode? When I was running with the VFD, We had a call out for a chimney fire. We get there, homeowner said they'd extinguished it. The chief was trying to convince the old lady to let us have a look just to be on the safe side. She said no, the fireplace was working fine(smoke out the top) and we proceeded back to the rigs. We'd just reached the rigs when KABOOM!!!!! The entire chimney was raining down on us. She was on the front porch, and was blown out into the yard. The fireplace/chimney was one of those old style that was outside the back wall of the house, and it took part of the wall with it. Fire Marshall said he'd seen it before, and she was lucky she was outside and not inside. The room with the fireplace looked like you'd thrown a grenade into it.
Glad you're OK, Explo. Definitely get this checked, and EVERYONE with fireplaces/boilers/wood burning stoves take note. Even the newer metal ductwork can become a ticking time bomb.
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”
Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime