Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arthritis otc meds or home remedies when shtf

Default arthritis otc meds or home remedies when shtf

need some help here to be able to do whats needed of me for my fmly, group when shtf .

I've got mild arthritis in my knees from old injuries. I use three things.

First is glucosamine sulfate 1500mg/day. I don't do chondroitin or MSM as they mess with my stomach. Glucosamine is great stuff for joint pain in general, as it acts like an anti-inflammatory (supposedly, though some studies say it does nothing). Glucosamine sulfate is also supposed to be very shelf stable.

Second would be fish oil tabs, 6g a day. Yeah, 6g. I get the 1g/pill version, and it's not that bad. Three in the morning and three at night. Aside from the other benefits, fish oil is a great anti-inflammatory and helps the joints.

The last thing was the absolute most effective thing I've done - lift weights. Heavy weights. When your muscles are strong, they do what they are supposed to do and move your body through space. The muscles bear more of the load in walking, moving, etc so the joints don't have to. Once I got my squat up to respectable numbers, my knee pain died off. Not saying everyone should go out and squat 465#, but getting some muscle strength was a huge help for me. Enormous. Also was able to fix a friends "bad back" by getting him to safely strengthen various small muscles in the back that had deteriorated from injury and compensatory movement patterns.

Some people won't be able to lift due to connective tissue deterioration, but most anyone else can. Lift light to start with and get strong. I've even seen 90yr old women do it. My advice here is predicated on non-crippling arthritis and the ability to actually move well enough to do it. Some can't, and I totally understand that.

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

I have many bottles of motrin put away... I would hope that a 25# weight loss would help as well... After the holidays...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

I'm on sulfasalazine, Ibuprophen 800mg, lorcet 10 hydrocodone, soma. I've taken remicaid treatments..it did'nt work for me too well. I hurt in the winter, but, the summer kills me. It's the fatigue that is the worst. Laying down, sleeping, etc..that wont cut the mustard. It is miserable.
    My other meds, fosomax, zocor, androgel, fenofribrate, calan, for other crap going on.
    I had a discussion with my pharmacist last time I refilled, and the computers were down. I could not get meds for 2 days because of this. This is one of my biggest fears, not getting meds so I can be half ass productive, and making thru the day. I cannot store up meds, impossible.
    I used to say ..well at least I've got my health.

It depends on what kind of arthritis. I have RA, not OA. I know a bit about RA but nothing about OA. People with RA are prone to Vitamin D deficiencies. Lucky for us, prescription strength Vit D is cheap and stores easily. Personally, I go for as long as possible between meds. I built up a 3-4 month supply of Enbrel until the fridge broke and then the company that makes Enbrel was willing to replace 6 syringes for me. While it is a great drug, it is very hard to store. There are other drugs that can cause severe allergic reactions, so it would be best to try and find out if you are allergic now. I didn't know I was allergic to sulfa drugs until last year when I tried sulfasalazine. I hear it works for a lot of people and it is much less expensive than what I take now (which is why I tried it), but finding out about a drug allergy after TSHF can kill you. Personally, I think Prednisone is best for storing as long as it works for you. It is dirt cheap and a lot of pills can fit into a bottle. The pills can easily be split in half, so you can try to get a stronger prescription to halve now and take a larger dose if it comes to that. Lifestyle changes are also necessary. Just like OA, exercise and strength training really help RA. Avoiding alcohol, stimulants like energy drinks, and anything in the nightshade family (think tomatoes, potatoes, paprika, etc), and red meat because they are thought to aggravate RA. Cherries, blueberries, fish, and green tea are thought to help. Different people have different triggers, though. I can't tell a difference when I eat tons of cherries or blueberries and I am allergic to fish, but I drink a lot of green tea because it helps. Alcohol and energy drinks just kill me. I have some fruits, but I have a stash of green tea that I use. When I am really sore, I spend several hours in a hot bath.

I have OA and also osteoporosis although that's improved greatly with the use of fosomax and now they call it something other than porosis. The OA, my worst joints were my knees, I used to get shots but they have pretty much stopped working so I am on Ibuprofen 800mg, it helps somewhat. I've been having massive pain in my right hip lately, it used to be just once in a while now it's almost constant and my lower back is gone, I can't stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes at a time before I'm in tears. I do take Caltrate Plus D. Can't say anything really helps that much but the Ibuprofen 800 works at night so I can sleep but doesn't work as well during the day. If you can get a prescription for the Ibuprofen 800 it's a whole lot cheaper than stocking up on otc, it's $4.00 at Walmart for 90.

Mrs. Mike...you might try Celebrex or Ultram. I was on those for a year or so, and they quit working for me. Some folks react different, so you might give it a go. I was also on synthetic time release morphine for 3 years, and I got where I couldnt handle it no more. I went to lorcet 10 hydrocodone, and it works well for me for pain now for near 7 years.

I'm lucky to even get prescription ibuprofen from my Dr. I know drug addicts who can get all the drugs they want but I, who doesn't use drugs or even drink, have to fight for a freakin' aspirin, there's no way I'd get the hydrocodone except once a year as a cough syrup. My OD really doesn't like to give out Celebrex either, no pain killers for me even though my knees are bone on bone. Surgery is not an option at this time because of other health issues.

I'd find another doctor. My old rhuemotologist prescribed my meds, got me started on a regiment of pain killers, muscle relaxers, and meds that will help with inflammation...and she got where she ran people thru like cattle. I was there for treatment, not pills. I was so dedicated staying there, I drove 145 miles, one way, to her office. Heck with it, I changed to a doctor just 7 miles from me, he listens, he understands, any mri's/ct/xrays, treatments or anything he might see...he sends me out for testing. He has spent up to 45 minutes with me..he seems to care about my health, not just making money and prescribing pills (small town doc). This is what I was after. He would not tolerate anyone coming in to get drugs only. My arthritic med. history extends back to when I was a kid wearing braces on my legs and lower back for several years, I was not healthy. So he has never questioned the authenticity of my med. problems, the paperwork from now to then is my mouthpiece.
    Alot of doctors will give out free samples of Celebrex, I've seen that.
    I feel for you, and will be in our prayers.

My disabilities are well documented so that's not the problem. I like my doctor for the most part but he's an hour away now that both he and I have moved further in the opposite directions. Now that the shots no longer work and surgery isn't an option at this time, there's really no reason to see him, I can get prescription ibuprofen from my family doctor, who knows, maybe she'll give me celebrex, I will need to ask. At this point I really need a strong pain killer for my back, that's my biggest issue and I just can't stand the pain anymore.

Thanks for your concerns and prayers, I will certainly keep you in my prayers also.