Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHTF gear or EDC gear

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

It would be a very rare situation I am far from my vehicle and GHB. My EDC bag is with me all of the other times with various lighting/protective stuff.
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafan View Post
    What kind of bag would be a decent size for EDC without it being too heavy or bulky?
    I use a Maxpedition Jumbo versipack.
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

Not only HAVING your EDC, but knowing how to use it is vital. I'm sure that there are a couple of folks that would be just fine with a speedo and a smile (to borrow the quote from Gunny), but most of us need a little more. Train with your EDC gear!! My personal EDC gear is a Leatherman Wave, a Streamlight PT2L, Kershaw pocket knife, leather belt, lighter, pen, three keyrings w/ aluminum carabiners, braided paracord key fob, work boots (acceptable for walking, but they aren't Vasques), and my boot laces replaced with paracord. So, ALL the time, I've got a minimum of ~15' of cordage. My job has me in and out of various stores, so I can't carry a weapon 'on the job' (but it's not far away....).
    My truck bag has more extensive supplies, including food, but let's be honest....it'd raise more than a few questions if you wore a waterproof jacket around in the summer time. Some things need to stay close at hand instead of IN hand.
    Back on topic: I have done some training to acquire shelter/food/water with ONLY what I have on my person, and while it isn't the Ritz....I can survive. Getting back to the truck, things get more comfortable. My entire GHB is less than a cubic foot, and easily portable via belt attachment or shoulder strap.
    Esse Quam Videri , Semper Paratus , My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmayhem View Post
    Carry all the time for those of us who aren't ever allowed to carry.
    That is a good part of why I started carrying daily.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinafan View Post
    What kind of bag would be a decent size for EDC without it being too heavy or bulky?
    I use one of these - http://www.countycomm.com/minebag.htm

I didn't want something big and bulky. I can toss sufficient gear in it to get back to my truck, or farther if needed. My attitude towards my EDC bag is the same as towards my EDC sidearm - too large and too heavy means it will be left at home. I'd rather ditch every little nitnoy piece of gear that I don't need than leave the bag at home, and would rather carry the nosegun I've got than wait til I get the right gun, or, worse, decide not to carry because my available options are too big/heavy.

I am consistently impressed with the folks that carry full-size 1911's EDC. I can't imagine. It's too hot here to wear jackets and overshirts and such every day. Sure, I can haul big in the winter, but I need something appropriate year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonduck View Post
    I am consistently impressed with the folks that carry full-size 1911's EDC. I can't imagine. It's too hot here to wear jackets and overshirts and such every day. Sure, I can haul big in the winter, but I need something appropriate year round.
    It's all in the rig, specifically the belt. A dress belt won't support a large weapon properly. I have two belts- one's a store bought 'work' belt, and my 1911 moves around a bit, requiring constant hiking of the pants. The other belt is one I made from a stirrup strap. It's close to 1/4 inch thick, and is 1 3/8ths wide. When I use it, the pistol sits in one spot all day and because the belt more evenly distributes the weight, it's very comfortable. Incidentally, I carry a full size, all steel '91A1, IWB.
    Esse Quam Videri , Semper Paratus , My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by twinoaks View Post
    It's all in the rig, specifically the belt. A dress belt won't support a large weapon properly. I have two belts- one's a store bought 'work' belt, and my 1911 moves around a bit, requiring constant hiking of the pants. The other belt is one I made from a stirrup strap. It's close to 1/4 inch thick, and is 1 3/8ths wide. When I use it, the pistol sits in one spot all day and because the belt more evenly distributes the weight, it's very comfortable. Incidentally, I carry a full size, all steel '91A1, IWB.
    More power to ya, man. It gets hot and humid as all get out around here, and many days, it's all I can do to wear a poloshirt or t-shirt. Wearing an undershirt is out of the question. Case in point, today is thanksgiving, and I had on a polo shirt, shorts, and a summer weight hat. I took a jacket with me in case I got stuck outside for a long time, but did not need it in any way. Heck, I drove to my in-laws place with the windows down.

So basically spring through most of fall, wearing a jacket or other cover-up is not gonna happen. That means all I have to conceal with is whatever shirt I'm wearing. And, as hot as it gets, and I get, I'm not even going to wear a heavy shirt. I also sweat pretty heavily, so a lot of different types of carry are just asking for trouble (moisture plus leather is bad). So, excepting winter, it's pocket carry for me.

I've contemplated carrying a pistol in my EDC bag. I've seen many people that do that. I'm just not totally comfortable with the idea. It's not mounted on my person, and this means there a greater chance of losing control of the weapon. No, it's unlikely that a purse-snatcher is going to target me, but it's not impossible. Moreover, it bothers me to think about wearing the bag while eating at a restaurant for example, as I certainly would not want to put it down.

It's a concern all around. Thus I pocket carry my little nosegun, and look for better alternatives. I'd really rather just carry openly, but it is just not a good idea all too often. I'm looking pretty hard at the Ruger LCP. It's a slick little piece, small enough to pocket carry, and, from reviews I've seen WAY more accurate than my gun. Also looking at getting the larger locking grip for mine (NAA .22WMR revolver), as a bigger handle would allow for more control. Even then, I doubt it will be terribly accurate, and it is essentially impossible to reload in a stress situation.

I was with a friend one time who forgot to put his spare tire in his rig. We had a blow out in the back woods. He started walking to find cell service and call for someone to bring his spare tire.

I pulled out my jetboil (in the BOB all the time) and a Mountain House meal. Fired up the stove and had lunch while he walked.

My EDC is pretty good, I keep a knife, lighter, phone with pdf files of important stuff, and one or more firearms on my body
    along with a surefire flashlight, and usually a small led knife as well.

In my briefcase, I keep a lot more, space blanket, water filter, medications, poncho, first aid, metal coffee cup for cooking, etc.

I would not feel comfortable walking around without a firearm, knife, light, and lighter on my person. Maybe just me.

bourneshooter... I remember that. LOL.

I am making a list of **** for x-mas I know will be bought for me my the in-laws and ****. They for some reason think I have this thing for hoodies. Yeah I rock a hoodie but **** 2 every year is a bit much. **** just buy me a new surefire or some ****. My EDC is going down the road of fail. Hell all my preps are. I hate being poor. Twice I have posted that today. I gotta find a damn job.
    It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to [he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any life-threatening attack made upon him with a deadly weapon Gibson v KY,34SW936