Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian military radios

Default Russian military radios

I was wondering, would it make sense to pick up some Russian surplus radios to talk my buddies in case of SHTF? A guy on a board I frequent offered to sell one of these:

http://www.kpjung.de/e_r105m.htm

for about $200. Just curious what the folks think about something like that.
    Last edited by Chatterbox; 11-05-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Doesnt seem like a good deal. Its big and heavy. Takes odd batteries. Only puts out 1 watt. Has a very limited frequency range. You would be better off getting something like a yaesu ft-897 which can do 100 watts from 12 volt external power and around 20 watts on internal battery. And if modified can transcieve 1.8 - 54 Mhz 137-164 Mhz and 420-470 Mhz (Disclaimer: illegal to transmit out of band or without license!) It will operate in AM, USB, LSB, CW, and FM it weighs about 22 pounds less and is smaller too.

Is this for fixed, mobile or portable operation or all of the above?

In addition to using odd batteries the 105/108/109 series also has a tube final. That means it will eat up those odd batteries.

And, if you are specifically talking about the 105 the frequency range overlaps pretty much nothing useful, no CB, no Ham, just a very narrow chunk of military and public service band. Oh, and they are FM only, so although the 108 and 109 both cover some useful bands they do so in unused modes for all but a very small slice of Ham 10M.

In short, while cool (I have used a couple of them) they are more an oddity than something I would plan on.

Many other options out there that would be much more useful.

T!

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    In addition to using odd batteries the 105/108/109 series also has a tube final. That means it will eat up those odd batteries.

And, if you are specifically talking about the 105 the frequency range overlaps pretty much nothing useful, no CB, no Ham, just a very narrow chunk of military and public service band. Oh, and they are FM only, so although the 108 and 109 both cover some useful bands they do so in unused modes for all but a very small slice of Ham 10M.

In short, while cool (I have used a couple of them) they are more an oddity than something I would plan on.

Many other options out there that would be much more useful.

T!
    I actually thought that the non-standard spectrum would be sort of a bonus - less change of somebody listening in. The battery thing is definitely a concern.

It's would be used primarily for "in place" operation.

Wont the conversations come out in Russian???
    Preservation of Dal al-Harb - in the wastelands of the former United States.

Quote Originally Posted by baptistjihad View Post
    Wont the conversations come out in Russian???
    Only with Russian accent. And everybody being called "Comrade".

If I get one can I talk to that hot red head russian spy chick??

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post

T!
    Speaking of - what kind of battery life do they get?

do not believe it comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox View Post
    Speaking of - what kind of battery life do they get?
    I have no idea. We used the 108 mostly, but they all should be about the same. However, we used them tied to the 24 VDC system of the vehicle, never really on the internal battery. However, being a tube transmitter I can't see it drawing less than an Amp on TX (probably more) and probably almost half an Amp on RX. A dry cell that can fit inside that case jsut is not going to last long under those kinds of draws.

(EDIT) I found a spec sheet for the transmit tube used, and the filament current is about 0.24 A, menaing even when the transmitter is not actually transmitting, jsut idling waiting to transmit, it drwars significant current. So the one Amp and half Amp numbers I said above might be a little on the light side. If this is true and the battery used is the standard 14 AH NiCad pack you can probably expect about 18 to 24 hours of operation with a good mixture of more listen than transmit.

T!
    Last edited by Token; 11-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.