Thread: dehydrating yogurt

Default dehydrating yogurt

I have been trying to find out how long dehydrated yogurt roll ups will last if you vacuum seal them. The yogurt is on sale here and I dehydrated a couple of trays lastnight. They came out great and I sealed them today. I would like to do more tonight but not if they need to be used in the next 3 months or so.

I e-mailed Excalibur but they haven't gotten back to me.

Hi again. I did get a response from someone out there that knows about yogurt dehydration. Apparently as long as the vacuum seal is airtight the dehydrated yogurt will last at least a year.

This makes me very happy 'cause I couldn't resist and did 9 more trays last night!

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't have thought to even try.

Wow, never thought of that. How does it come out? Is it like a fruit rollup thingy or do you rehydrate?
    Proudly AKA the Paranoid Pyscho Wife.

I use commercially prepared yogurt - Yoplait. Spread it on a tray with parchment paper so it is level but with no parchment paper showing. I have the excalibur dehydrator so I use 3 yogurts to 1 tray. It drys to a roll up type of leather from 12 -15 hours (look at fruit to make sure dehydration is complete). Cut it into pieces (I make 6 to 1 tray - each roll up is about 1/2 container of yogurt) and roll each piece in parchment paper before vacuum sealing (I didn't do this with the first batch and I cut the vacuum bag after 1 day to test if it stuck together - it was one big lump).

It is AWESOME!