Thread: Nuclear Event - 50 miles southwest of Chicago

Default Nuclear Event - 50 miles southwest of Chicago

http://www.ubalert.com/a/25132

Both reactors at Exelon Corp.'s nuclear power plant in Braidwood have shut down, and the company is looking for the source of the problem. Exelon spokesman Marshall Murphy and Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Scott Burnell both say the situation isn't a safety concern. The Braidwood Generating Station is about 50 miles southwest of Chicago. Murphy says the power-generating units shut down early Monday. Steam is being vented from the plant to reduce pressure in its steam generators. The NRC spokesman says that noise is loud and can be heard by people in the area. The company isn't sure when the 2,300-megawatt plant will start up again. Burnell says NRC inspectors are at the plant.

Also being reported by the Chicago Tribune:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...tory?track=rss

This is really no big deal. Used dto happen every once in a while at Harris Nuclear Plant, in North Carolina, where I worked for almost 11 years. IIRC, Its called a SCRAM, and I don't remember what that acronym stands for. The reactor just "trips" for some reason and shuts down.The steam is just from superheated water...no radiation involved, same as the steam emitting from the cooling tower. Absolutely no danger to the public. I think the nuclear power industry should do a lot more in the PR dept as to informing the genereal public what something like this means. Nuclear power plants are far more safe than most people realize. A melt downsuch as Chernobyl or as ws depicted in the movie "China Syndrome" is highly unlikely at the plants here in the U. S. You just wouldn't believe the redundency in the safety systems that would prevent such from taking place. As I said, I worked in security for almost 11 years and in that total time I was exposed to less radiation than from watching ONE football game on my color TV or from standing next to my microwave (radar) oven while heating something to eat. And, yep, it very loud...akin to a boeing 707 with all four engines at full throttle on the run-up pad.

non semper erit aestas
    It will not always be summer

NUKE power is very stable and safe. So long as you treat it with respect.
    M U S I B I K E

Quote Originally Posted by Forgul View Post
    Yep! Thanks, Forgul. Amazing what you can forget in 12 years. It was a great place to work when I first started in Sept 1987, but in the ensuing years it became so micro managed and zero tolerant of ANYTHING it became a nightmare. I left there in June 1998. The pay wasn't all that great either. In the almost 11 years I worked there I worked from $5.72 per hour (as an unarmed watchperson) up to $11.72 per hour (as an armed guard). When I left I did so with absolutely NO regrets whatsoever.

So, everything worked EXACTLY as it was supposed to?

Some "Nuclear Event".....
    Good medicine in bad places

gues my roadtrippng is over. home in east texas where i think i will MAKE a home.

they got folks that are twitchy as hell that just sit around dreaming up ways for things to go wrong in the plant, got plans for EVERYTHING.

working a nuke is no joke.

they have meetings to plan meetings that plan meetings to perform work on the plant. then its multiple simulations, classrooms, and then you are monitered by plant personal on the actual work.

if you go in the first time as an actual construction worker, used to BUILDING things, it will drive you absolutely stark raving bonkers at first.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Yep! Thanks, Forgul. Amazing what you can forget in 12 years. It was a great place to work when I first started in Sept 1987, but in the ensuing years it became so micro managed and zero tolerant of ANYTHING it became a nightmare. I left there in June 1998. The pay wasn't all that great either. In the almost 11 years I worked there I worked from $5.72 per hour (as an unarmed watchperson) up to $11.72 per hour (as an armed guard). When I left I did so with absolutely NO regrets whatsoever.
    Things changed a ton for the nuclear security world following 9/11, sounds like the pay scale was a little off at Harris in 1998. When I started as an armed officer in 2000 at another nuclear power plant the starting step for armed was $10.82. The starting step is now close to $16.00 with a top out at around $24.00 for armed officers. Just saying things change and nuclear security is one of the most stable employments out there right now in the security profession.

Quote Originally Posted by hondajohn View Post
    Things changed a ton for the nuclear security world following 9/11, sounds like the pay scale was a little off at Harris in 1998. When I started as an armed officer in 2000 at another nuclear power plant the starting step for armed was $10.82. The starting step is now close to $16.00 with a top out at around $24.00 for armed officers. Just saying things change and nuclear security is one of the most stable employments out there right now in the security profession.
    I still keep in periodic touch with some of the folks at the Harris plant, and your info is spot on. Pay has definitely improved but I don't know about the "atmosphere" and working conditions. I know a lot of management has died, moved up or moved on for one reason or another, so maybe things are a little better now. Hope so anyway.