I think there are several threats in the UK. Though in preparing, you should prioritize them - as several steps in preparing for threat number one also serve to prepare for other threats that I won't mention ie: zombie apocalypse...
The UK is the world leader in CCTV / Facial recognition. They have files upon files for all residents and visitors. The UK was also a leading country in an effort to ban guns. (Well, not altogether, but damned close.) There was a time - not too long ago - in Scotland and other parts of the UK where the police did not carry guns. Now the government has all but banned guns and what do we see? The police are all armed!!!
What does this say about her Majesty's government and its objectives?
In my opinion: [If anyone else wants to add here by the way, PLEASE by all means do so.] This list of most plausible and relevent things that could happen in the UK. 2 priorities and 3 scenarios.
First priority: Get out or as clear as you can from the control grid. You do not have to do this overnight, but start a concious effort to withdraw from all things monitored.
Second Priority: Start to prepare for realistic, forseeable emergencies first.
[THESE 2 PRIORITIES CAN BE WORKED ON AT THE SAME TIME]
Here's a short list of plausible scenarios: (listed by probability)
1) -Flood (London?) - or other natural (or unnatural) disaster
I put this as #1 because it may lead to the other 2 - in a hurry.
2) -Power outage (short - 1 hour or less) ; (medium - 1 day or less) ; (6 weeks to the stoneage? - more than a day)
3) -Social unrest (precipitating possibly from the first 2) and possible implementation of martial law
If you are successful in escaping the UK control grid your ability to prepare for everything else - and succeed at it for a length of time is greatly enhanced.
Now we have to look at what is required for surviving scenarios 1, 2 and 3. The more I explore the flood / disaster scenario the more the other 2 scenarios seem to get covered.
Flood / Natural disaster.
Short of building an ark... Perhaps a rapid deploy life raft such as those used by families at sea / world cruising sailors? http://www.life-raft.com/
- DESALINATION / WATER PURIFICATION. I'd put this ahead of stored water because in the UK, there's lots of water and if you are mobile, this is also lighter.
- FRESH WATER
- THE TOOLS TO START A FIRE - TRIPLE REDUNDANT ( flints, lighters AND waterproof matches)
- Assuming the liferaft serves as a shelter (until you hit landfall and start building) STORED MRE / FOOD
- THE MEANS TO ACQUIRE MORE FOOD this could be fishing, hunting, trapping, B and E'ing - you name it.
- CONSTRUCTION TOOLS
I did not go into much detail beyond a topic (ie: SECURITY or MEDICAL) though these require both tools and skills. Which you should learn and amass.
I hope this provokes more discussion.
Haud dominus : Alacer Ensis ; Man is not bad except as he is made so by arbitrary morality...