Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK Preppers/ UK Threats

living near to Reading. finally got my user details back so can finally reply.

enjoyed the snow during the holiday period =)
    enjoying the increase of VAT to 20%
    enjoying the fuel rise double wammy (cheapest diesel is approx 1.30.9 per lietre here.)
    enjoying the fact that my job is pay increase frozen for the next two years.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._warnings.html

the abouve is a useful(ish) link to see at a glance where in the uk has severe weather warnings.
    Last edited by Forgul; 01-08-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: adding link.
    non semper erit aestas
    It will not always be summer

It started snowing up here in Co Durham mid November, I thought we had finally seen the back of it last thursday, but we got another incvh of snow this afternoon, and tonight its obviously been raing heavy and now its turned to ice. Its like a skating ring outside. So pleased I got M + S tyres for the van.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWcritter View Post
    I read that the UK Gov is thinking about having ALL paychecks go through the GOV first before you get your hard earned cash. Yup. They take the taxes THEY WANT, then give you a stipend. If I were you guys, I would find a way to get out of that country while you still can. Get a green card for the US and come live here. The US is HUGE with many places to go in an emergency.
    Doesn't work like that i'm afraid 1st, UK citizens are not eligable for green cards. 2nd, the US has absolutely no interest in anyone from Europe with less than $500,000 ( does not include living expenses, btw ) to invest coming to live there. It's actually very difficult to relocate from the UK & 85% of relocaters end up coming back anyway.

just another good link for checking on the economy in the uk

http://uk.reuters.com/business/economy

its pretty bleak.

LONDON (Reuters) - House prices in England and Wales fell at their fastest annual rate in more than a year in February, although a rebound in new buyers slowed the fall on the month, a survey showed on Thursday.

Services PMI growth slows
    LONDON (Reuters) - Growth in Britain's dominant service sector slowed sharply in February after January's weather-related bounce and companies recorded job losses for the fifth month running, a survey showed on Thursday.

9:33am GMTWage growth picks up to two-year high
    LONDON (Reuters) - Wage growth accelerated at the start of this year, according to a survey on Thursday that may raise concerns at the Bank of England that above-target inflation will become entrenched.

Personal Finance, 7:17am GMTSterling forecasts upgraded - Reuters poll
    LONDON (Reuters) - The outlook for sterling has brightened over the past month as analysts become increasingly convinced the Bank of England will raise rates sooner than was thought to control rampant inflation, a Reuters poll found.

7:15am GMTConstruction PMI hits eight-month high
    LONDON (Reuters) - Construction activity grew at its fastest pace in eight months in February, boosted by new business, the monthly Markit/CIPS purchasing managers index showed on Wednesday.

02 Mar 2011Central government spending squeeze tightened
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has tightened controls on government spending on marketing and supply contracts and also frozen civil service recruitment, measures it said should help to save billions of pounds over the next four years.

Small Business 02 Mar 2011King sees signs of recovery in early 2011
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's economy appears to have rebounded at the start of 2011 but there is little sign yet that inflationary pressures are becoming entrenched, Bank of England Governor Mervyn King said on Tuesday.

01 Mar 2011Miliband says middle income families face crunch
    LONDON (Reuters) - Families in Britain are facing a "cost of living" crisis which will persist for years to come, Labour leader Ed Miliband said on Monday.

Personal Finance, 28 Feb 2011Northern Rock to offer 90 percent mortgages
    LONDON (Reuters) - Northern Rock, the British bank nationalised during the credit crisis, is preparing to launch a series of mortgages that offer up to 90 percent of a property's value, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

Personal Finance, 28 Feb 2011Growth fall even sharper than first thought
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's economy contracted even faster than previously thought at the end of last year after the first fall in household spending in 18 months, denting expectations for an imminent rise in interest rates.
    non semper erit aestas

Illegal's (not the polish, they might take jobs but their hardworking.. but EVEN they are all F*cking off back to poland???)?
    Terrorists? Bombs (3 scares in 1 week by me!!)
    Petrol set to go up to 1.60~?? pure Wonk (replace o with a )
    the new AV system (Alternate voting, 250m for WHAT???)
    lots of stuff..

Thats why im building a BOL, and then BOB (1970s Campervan with a rotor & dizzy, no ECU to PHAIL) got a budget of around 5-6000..
    Self sufficient, eco friendly etc etc etc
    http://10074405.blogspot.com/ <Dare to goto it?!
    SHTF/Camping/EDC related posts Coming Soon!

Angry Census 2011

Well I got one of these through the door today.

pretty intrusive IMHO. But since my job has full info on what they are asking and are part of the MOD / goobermint i see no point not filling it in. (plus the 1000 fine is quite impressive)

non semper erit aestas

diesel 1.49 > im gonna have to start cycling places

Yeah its total crap a year ago I could fill my tank for 40-50, now that money gets me only 3/4 a tank!

But at least shopping in lidl and aldi rather than tesco or sainsbury has reduced my grocery bill.
    non semper erit aestas

But at least shopping in lidl and aldi rather than tesco or sainsbury has reduced my grocery bill.
    You have to carefull, it's not always cheaper in Lidl/Aldi, i acutally tried it. ( against Asda, Morrisons & Tesco )
    Tesco was more expensive, Asda & Morrisons worked out cheaper. ( on that particular week ) To really save save money you have to shop at 2-3 shops, Lidl/Aldi is best for canned goods & frozen. Morrisons & Asda have better weekly deals on fresh foods.
    Fact is most people are too damm lazy & will spend 200 in the nearest shop to them, saying prices shmices ( the good old British way )
    Just a side note, food prices in the US are way higher, i almost had a nervous breakdown shopping in Publix

http://uk.reuters.com/business/economy

Economic growth set to sag after Q1 spurt
    LONDON (Reuters) - The first quarter of this year could be as good as it gets for domestic economic growth until at least 2013, according to a quarterly Reuters poll of almost 70 economists who again bumped up inflation forecasts.

Waitrose sales soar as Britons barbecue
    LONDON (Reuters) - Sales at John Lewis' Waitrose supermarket chain soared last week as the sunny weekend weather prompted people to dust off their barbecues from winter storage.

9:34am BSTConsumer morale up from record low
    LONDON (Reuters) - Consumer confidence recovered only somewhat in March from the record low hit in the previous month, a survey showed, providing little relief for retailers suffering from consumers' reluctance to spend.

14 Apr 2011Signs of recovery as jobless rate falls
    LONDON (Reuters) - The rate of unemployment fell unexpectedly in the three months to February, and employment rose, official data showed on Wednesday, in a sign that companies are feeling more confident about hiring.

13 Apr 2011Instant View - Jobless rate falls, earnings growth slows
    LONDON (Reuters) - The number of Britons claiming unemployment benefit held broadly steady last month, but a wider measure of unemployment unexpectedly fell, official data showed on Wednesday.

13 Apr 2011ONS says investigating CPI rumours
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday that it was aware of market rumours about the exact March inflation rate circulating before the official release of the data, and was investigating them.

13 Apr 2011"Rip-off Britain" vulnerable to food price rises
    LONDON (Reuters) - Supermarkets are claiming the credit for an unexpected fall in inflation last month, but a lack of cut-throat competition still makes Britain more vulnerable than other developed countries to food price rises.

Market Analysis, Personal Finance 13 Apr 2011Shock inflation fall eases pressure on BoE
    LONDON (Reuters) - Inflation unexpectedly fell in March for the first time since July 2010, driven by lower food costs, in news that will ease pressure on the Bank of England to raise interest rates next month.

12 Apr 2011Inflation lower than expected in March
    LONDON (Reuters) - Consumer price inflation fell unexpectedly in March, after a month-on-month decline in the cost of food and drink outweighed higher housing and utility costs, the Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday.

12 Apr 2011Retail sales tumble and house prices fall
    LONDON (Reuters) - Retail sales fell at their fastest annual pace in nearly six years and house prices slipped in March, surveys showed on Tuesday, underlining the fragile state of the economic recovery.
    non semper erit aestas