Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable Communications Box Project - Picture Heavy

Default Portable Communications Box Project - Picture Heavy

Wanted to post a few pictures - sorry, more than a few - of a project I am currently working on... The concept is similar to an Emmergency Comm box or go kit but with more daily use in mind. I will be taking this with me, like luggage, when I go out of town, to the lake... etc...

1 - So, I start with this wiring diagram...

2 - Plan out the framework to support the radios and components

3 - To make all this stuff fit inside this box

4 - I cut out some preliminary test parts this week... just to see how things fit. The test parts are cut from low cost masonite board... The final parts will be cut from acylic (plexiglass).

I'll post more shots as this progresses..

Once the box is complete, the next step in the process will be to start working on the mobile antennas... should be fun.

Wow. You obviously know what you're doing...thats got to be among the best setups I've ever seen.

I'd consider using the 12vdc supply as the charger - Astron has a mod that will allow this. Also, I'd try the two radios that close to each other and confirm no intermod from them.

How about a light, and a clock or two (local/zulu time)?
    Good medicine in bad places

you did a great job cutting out those parts! They look mechanically cut, what kind of machine did you use? great design work too, you could make those wooden dinosaur skeleton puzzles that they sell in the hobby shops. I always have a harf time with what things should look like BEFORE they are cut out and always end up adding my holes for stuff after the initial cuts are made, must be nice to have all of the requirements set in your mind before you start cutting.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Duplicity,
    Very nice station, I'm impressed. What power supply are you using? Is the box a Pelican case? How have you wired the case for external connections, coax, 120v power, etc? Do you use any digital comms, APRS, Winlink, Pactor, etc?
    Our ARES group does quite a lot of digital traffic and several of our members have built cases similar to yours. They work out very well for feild work, amazingly well.
    one last thing, what software did you use for the schematic? I've been looking for something along those lines and haven't found anything I like yet.
    Bacpacker
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

The case is just a hard plastic shipping case... I spent a lot of time looking and searching cases... there are some specific features about this one that I like...

1 - The ribs that run front to back on the top and bottom provide a slight recess to allow me to place screw heads that will be recessed.
    2 - The bump outs at each corner will allow me to set it up on end with the through wall coax connectors sticking out on the back/bottom
    3 - The size was just right for packing all this away in as small suit case sized box.

There will be a strip along the back where the coax, AC power goes in. The power chord will be a standard computer power supply type chord fed into an AC power entry module thing.

power supply is a yeasu FP-1023.. it sits on the bottom on the right side below the 2m radio... a sealed lead acid battery with battery tender go on the bottom on the left side... don't have the battery yet..

The diagrams were drawn out in autocad and then cut on a 40W laser...

I have not yet gotten into the digital comms... but, that is on my list of things to learn more about

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Wow. You obviously know what you're doing...thats got to be among the best setups I've ever seen.

I'd consider using the 12vdc supply as the charger - Astron has a mod that will allow this. Also, I'd try the two radios that close to each other and confirm no intermod from them.

How about a light, and a clock or two (local/zulu time)?
    Do you have a link to the mod you noted? That would be a nice feature to include....

I have thought about a light, a clock would be another nice addition. I am out of room on the face plates themselves, but there will be a void near the center of the radio up on the lid... once I get everything mounted I can play with how to make that work... thanks for the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicity View Post
    Do you have a link to the mod you noted? That would be a nice feature to include....

I have thought about a light, a clock would be another nice addition. I am out of room on the face plates themselves, but there will be a void near the center of the radio up on the lid... once I get everything mounted I can play with how to make that work... thanks for the idea...
    Here you go: http://www.repeater-builder.com/astr...rsbattmod.html

You could go into business doing that kind of work! Matter of fact, I have a case like that (I got it from Jensen years and years ago, to hold my electronic tools)......

Here are a couple of pictures of what I am planning for the cable and power attachments...

Obviously, not going to cut these holes until I get everything situated and attached inside the box...

1 SO239 for HF, 1 for VHF, and 2 for the SWR meeter

Very fine work!

Nice work with the templates, connector plans. I like the computer power plug for AC, good idea. The coax fittings are nice and I assume weather proof. That will be very nice for use in the field.
    I'm not sure if I want 1 box with 2m/70cm voice and digital, along with HF voice and digital, or 2 boxes and seperate HF from VHF/UHF. I am certianly going to take a very close look at your before I start mine and find as many useful ideas that will work with what I end up going with. Thanks for Sharing
    Bacpacker
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13