Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable Communications Box Project - Picture Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    use a paint brush and some baby powder to dust the top of you panels, gently close the lid and the powder where contact is made will be disturbed and leave a mark own the lid.
    Darn good idea!

Thanks!

Very Impressive !

Updated pictures.... sorry for the large size...

We are on test cut number 3... even though this looks near complete... there are still a few changes, so we will be at at least test cut 4...

Once I got cut 2 in the box, I noticed a couple of things. First, there was a void between the radios where things could slip down into the box... putting a plate at the end was an easy issue... but the plate gave me room for a couple more switches, which I needs.

I also noticed that there was no easy access to the backs of the radios... so, for the FT-857D, I have added some remote jacks to the right side of the box, below the 2m radio bringing the external speaker/headphone jack, the key/CW jack and the digital/data jack forward and accessable.

Now I start working out the electrical wire and connectivity..... one step closer...

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicity View Post
    Cutting out test sample #3 tonight... made some changes and glued together sample #2 yesterday. Put everything together and put the frame inside the plastic enclosure... the lid was 1/8 inch short of closing... something was binding or hindering the lid... the problem is you can't see inside the box to see where it is...

So, I am trimming down the over all height another 1/8" and cutting and gluding #3.... hope this will be the last test version....

unlikely, but one can hope...
    are you not using any serious vibration isolation in this design? it would seem to make little sense to have a big, protective hardshell case and then NOT properly protect the radios inside. otherwise drop the case and you might as well be dropping the radios!

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe View Post
    are you not using any serious vibration isolation in this design? it would seem to make little sense to have a big, protective hardshell case and then NOT properly protect the radios inside. otherwise drop the case and you might as well be dropping the radios!

interesting.... what would you suggest?

at the VERY least something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/four-10-32-vibra...2#ht_500wt_928

better would be to have your internal frame built so that there is 1-2 inches clearance all around inside the case then float it on heavy bungees or springs.

imho the whole point of a big hardshell case like that is so that you can THROW your gear in the back of the truck. even if you handle it carefully when you can there are always bumps from rough terrain or drops from a tailgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    This is a fascinating project and what this site is all about! Great work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Also, this is a thread I'd like to see stay clean from any bickering or trolling so if anybody starts mucking it up they will get dealt with promptly. Yes, I'm being overly heavy-handed but it's because this thread has the makings of being one of the greats.

That's quality work and sharing the evolution with us is much appreciated.
    coming along very nice. Making of project of the year for sure. Ltladbner I officially nominater this one for the month of June. can i get a second .

Maybe give the man some kudos with a link to the home page? this is an excelent example of a do it yourself job.
    Last edited by brushbuster67; 06-30-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks for the kind remarks... this is one of those little detail oriented projects... with access to AutoCad (drafting software) and a laser cutter, this really isn't that difficult... just lots of planning and trial and error... It is nice to see if coming together as planned...

Once I get this finished, I am thinking of planning out a "generic" box. One that uses a much less costly container and fewer features. If anyone wants to help or participate in working on that project, I welcome the help.

There you go putting ideas in my head... Nice work!
    I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring. -David Bowie-

Hardigg cases designed for commo have an aluminum rack frame on the inside and usually at least 8 rubber feet that isolate the rack itself from the exterior container. That's adequate for commercial/military grade commo equipment... the stuff you've got loaded in there is alot more sensitive.

You could also PROBABLY get away with 4" larger of a container in all directions and using open cell foam to bed it all in, so it'd have a 2" surround for shock absorption. Making flat surfaces for the edges so it can't cut into the foam on its own due to vibration from transportation would be important for foam longevity.