Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry stacked surface bonded concrete block construction site

How does dry stacking work for underground shelters? For comparison, assuming you wanted to build a underground shelter that had the same dimensions as a 40' shipping container? I'm thinking build a 40 x 8 basement with drystacking, then for a roof, just cover it with a shipping container. Build a trap door in the container and you just doubled your storage space. cut some slots in the container for lookout. Keep everything in the lower unit including sleeping quarters. leave the top container full of less valuable items. if someone torches into the upper container they get your junk, but don't know that there's a treasure under their feet.... thoughts?
    2nd Law: In a closed system, the entropy of the system will either remain constant or increase

i have limited experience w surface bond, but it was positive.
    as far as I know, surface bond is much stonger than mortar laid block, but neither would come anywhere near poured concrete w lots of rebar

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    i have limited experience w surface bond, but it was positive.
    as far as I know, surface bond is much stonger than mortar laid block, but neither would come anywhere near poured concrete w lots of rebar
    Thats what i thought. all the retaining walls i've had made were made with mortar laid block but then it's filled with rebar and poured concrete right. I assumed basements were made the same way. a hollow empty wall would make me nervious under ground. expecially in an earthquake.
    2nd Law: In a closed system, the entropy of the system will either remain constant or increase

Was thinking about using shipping containers for my Hobbit Hole/BOL, but this will be 10 times better! Plus, you can rent out a Hobbit Hole to LOTR crazy people for $300 a night!