Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now, the ultimate Alaskan Pistol?

Default Now, the ultimate Alaskan Pistol?

Okay, Good discussion about rifles, It's exactly what I was hoping to see. Now how about pistols? My favorite woods pistol is a Taurus 4" barrel six shot .44 mag. Here is the reasons I like this one:

1. The .44 mag is a big enough round to offer a chance at defense against the biggest animals up here if necessary while still being controllable enough to offer fast follow up shots.

2. There is a variety of different loads available ranging from.44 special to 300 gr. solid copper 'bear rounds' and this gun will feed all of them.

3. The Taurus in inexpensive enough that I'll only cry for one or 2 days if I lose it crossing a river or something. A Smith & Wesson with similar stats is expensive enough (Roughly 2x what the Taurus cost) that it would be worth at least a week of crying.

4. With some practice and tuning from a gunsmith friend of mine it's quite accurate out to about 30 yards, much farther than I'd have to shoot in a self defense situation.

Again, these are just my ideas and what works for me. It's always cool to hear what works for everyone else!

Hand cannons are my passion. The 44 is the classic Alaskan gun and mine is loaded for bear. There are only two heavy enogh to handle my loads and that is the Ruger Super Redhawk and the Dan Wesson. Getting off quick follow up shot is so important I think it is still king but I have to tell there are some others I really like. Dan Wesson makes a 445 that is a lenghtened 44 mag! The 480 Ruger derived from the 475 Limbaugh that is made from shortened 45/70 brass is another I like for close range. As a reloader I have always wanted a 44 Auto mag. I have a TC Encore that I have fired 575 grain Pile Drivers pushed by a compressed load in a 45/70 case! How could I possibly choose one! I don't care for the Casulls I have fired or the 460 & 500 S&W and to be honest I built the Encore up to show up my buddies that had them but the more I shot it the more I liked it and my mind began to think of the possibilties of what hand held artillery could do. No handgun can match the Encore for long range accuracy and I almost feel guilty using my 410 barrel on Spruce hens. The Ultimate Alaskan handgun? I'm always game to go shooting with Alaskans to put any gun to the Ultimate test.
    "Free Men don't need permission to own guns"

Survivalist, Responses like THAT are exactly why I ask these questions! I'd love to shoot some of those hand cannons sometime!

The Ultimate Alaskan handgun? I'm always game to go shooting with Alaskans to put any gun to the Ultimate test. I'll volunteer to be your helper in testing!

How about some pics

Gotta go with .44 Mag as well (for most people). I'm not a huge guy. A .44 Mag is manageable (and can still do the job), but shooting a 500 SW is the equivalent of me asking to get punched in the face. Still don't have mine (45/70 Marlin was higher on the priority list), but plan to soon.

And like mentioned, a lot of them (Ruger, Taurus, etc.) are manageable bank account wise, and have substantial stopping power for a hand gun.

Not a whole lot of dissent in here is there?

LOL very true. Kinda takes the fun out of a discussion thread when everyone agrees, Don't it?

Heavy Loaded .45LC will stop anything I will ever encounter.

I still miss my Desert Eagle in .44 mag. Going to get another as soon as I cash in some leave...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. - Erasmus circa 1510

As i understand it, and have been told by an alaskan friend..... The .454 casull beats the .44 and .500 S&W. I have not yet tested this theory, but the numbers are supposed to support this theory.

no offense but people have been carrying.44 for way longer then the cas and a .44 is proven time and again against 1000 lbs of pissed of bear
    So why fix what isnt broken
    just my 0.02 worth
    Cry in training - laugh in battle