Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in Ontario Canada what do you use for protection when SHTF?

I cannot afford what they want for gun lisencing and registration plus purchasing the gun..so I went crossbow...

150lb cobra...I do have others..but a lady should not give away all her secrets....
    preparing for the future dot org

next time any of you cannucks goto florida for vacation drive up to georgia on a saturday ppl well sell you hand guns at flea markets , yard sales no id is ever asked for , im not for gun control but its silly down here bye the way i luv my glock 17 most consistintly accurate hand gun ive ever owned. a lil big to conceal . question can u carry a concealed weapon in canada??

I have the plastic knife that came with my Tim Hortons lunch.........

i miss tim hortons , i grew up in buffalo.... i miss the clubs in ft erie more

Quote Originally Posted by beginner View Post
    I have the plastic knife that came with my Tim Hortons lunch.........
    Did that come with your roll up the rim to win..seeeessh all I got was play again and again and again....lol
    preparing for the future dot org

Quote Originally Posted by vsal61 View Post
    question can u carry a concealed weapon in canada??
    To carry at all (concealed or otherwise) you need to get an Authorization to Carry (ATC)...and they're damn near impossible to get.

Just thought I would keep this thread going, since there is no longer a long gun registry in Canada, and thought maybe there are some more guys out there with guns..... I also thought I would update what my arsenal looks like now, because its much different now.

I have sold, and bought lots of guns over the last couple years....anyhow, this is what is in my safe currently :
    1. CZ858-2 (vz-5 semi auto 7.62x39, with 30 round mags, riveted to 5....looks like a ak47, but much better gun...this bad boy is my go to shtf gun, and works pretty good for deer hunting also, and ammos cheap, so I always keep several crates at home, and target shoot alot with it.... if shtf, and there was a complete break down in society, with no government or laws, then in 1 minute, the rivet can be popped out, so that the mags hold 30 rounds again...I don't recommend removing the rivet though in no circumstances, unless a total teotwawki type senario occurs, because its a big no no in Canada otherwise, and I for one don't want my family to visit me in jail, so I would never remove the rivet ever, unless such a event happens, and the laws no longer apply.

2. Baikal MP153 semi auto 12gauge shotgun...cycles 2 3/4, 3, & 3 1/2" shells. Super reliable, and built like a russian tank, and never let me down. Holds 5 rounds + 1 in the chamber, plus I can ghost load another 2 3/4" for a total of 7 shells....this is my most used gun I own, since I hunt deer, waterfowl, and small game, and if shtf a shotgun is the best close quarter defence gun there is.

3. Tikka T3 lite stainless 30/06 with burris 3x9x40 scope. I have 1-3 round mag, plus 2-5round high cap mags.....this is my go to big game/shtf sniper rifle.

4. Ruger American .270 bolt action rifle, with vortex diamondback 4x12x40 scope...hold 4 rounds in the mags, and is really accurate (as good as my tikka). Very light, and is my coyote rifle, and big game back up. If shtf, my son would use this since its his favorite, and newest gun I own.

5. Ruger 10/22...still own this from earlier post...22lr ammo is the cheapest ammo to buy, and I keep 10 thousand + rounds of this on hand, for small game, target, and if shtf loaded in 25 round mags, it will make enough noise, quickly enough to convince a hord of attackers to go elsewere...very lethal, if shot placement is good, considering its small size....most people don't know that bobby kennedy was assasinated by a .22lr, and ronald reagan nearly was also, by a single ricochet .22lr into his chest...pretty easy to carry 3000 rounds in a jacket and be ready for any surprises that might occur if shtf.

6. H&R 410 Tamer...nickel, with a buttstock shell holder, that holds 4 extra rounds. Good little shotgun for small game, such as grouse, rabbits, but with slugs a 410 will drop a moose or deer at short range, and a person attacking... Ive never tried it, but apparently this gun fires 45colt also, which is nice to know can be used if no 410 shells are available...even though this shotty is a single shot, it can be reloaded & fired in 5 seconds with practise, and since it is so compact, its easy to carry, and if shtf, it could be easily concealed.

7. Ruger mk 2, semi auto .22lr pistol...5.5" bull barrel, great for small game, and defence. 10 round mags, and always goes bang when you pull the trigger...can never have enough 22's, and a pistol has many obvious benefits....my wifes go to gun if shtf, and her favorite gun to shoot, because its easy to be good with, and easy to handle.

8. CZ75 SP-01 shadow. 9mm, semi auto with tactical rail, and many upgrades done to improve accuracy, and make it rock solid reliable. The most accurate pistol I have shot, and used my competition shooter because of this reason... very fast follow up shots on target, because of its balance & good weight absorbs recoil nicely... 16 round mags are limited to 10 rounds, but just like my cz858, it can be easily be returned to its high capacity if shtf, and no laws & rules existed any more....but again, I would keep it pinned to 10 rounds always, to avoid breaking the law, and would only remove such things like mag restrictions, if that law no longer applied because shtf very bad, and there was no government, police, etc, that could protect society....( they can't protect us now, but I don't need a prohibited high capacity magazine to either, so my stuff is 100% legal, and in accordance with Canadian firearm rules, and laws...and suggest all Canadians to follow my lead, and do not ever use high capacity magazines, unless they become legal one day. (no restrictions on .22lr, so get it out of your system with a ruger 10/22, like I do at the range or in the woods)...I don't agree with gun control, including 5 & 10 round maximun magazine restrictions in semi automatic centerfire rifles, and pistols, but I do not break or disobey them, because I have no interest in going to jail, & losing all my guns.

9. Excalibur Exomax 350fps crossbow...not a gun, but its a serious hunting tool, and lethal weapon...nice illuminated scope, 4 arrow quiver, sound suppresor shocks, sling, etc....all ready for hunting. I have taken 2 nice deer with it last fall, and I have a upgraded string on it to increase speed, and since Excalibur crossbows are rock solid recurve, if I break a string, then I can replace it with my spare, in the field in seconds...these crossbows are'nt cheap, but you get what you pay for, and its one of the most strongest, lightest, accurate, best crossbows on the market.

I now also have a good turret reloading press, and reload all centerfire ammunition, and can pump out about 200 rounds per hour of handgun/60 rounds per hour rifle, and keep lots of components on hand, to reload extra ammo, but I always keep a substantial amount ready to go if shtf, except for my cz858 (vz5 assault rifle, because I buy ammo by the crate, and rarely have less than 3-4 crates (1150 rounds each )in storage, and 1 open box for range use, thats rotated for inventory, so I rarely have less than 5000 rounds of 7.62x39, which is my most important ammo, since it feeds my go to assault rifle... I do reload hunting rounds for this, and keep about 200 rounds in stock, of various loads... as a rule, I keep approx 200 rounds loaded for each hunting rifle, with the ability to reload double of each if needed, and about 1500 9mm, in various bullet sizes and types, and velocity...then a couple hundred 12gauge slugs, couple hundred buckshot shells, and 1 flat of target loads, and 1 flat of hunting loads, then of course, 10 thousand rounds + of .22lr...I need more 410, because right now my inventory is'nt too good, because I have only about 100 shells of hunting loads & maybe 50-60 slugs.

Wish List...

my next guns that I am getting, will probably be in this order of purchase :
    1. Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun 2 or 3 barrel combo, with a rifled slug barrel, 28" field barrel, and maybe a 24 " turkey barrel/self defence barrel.

2. .223 semi auto tactical style rifle...if I can afford a bushmaster acr in non-restricted barrel then thats what I will buy, however in all likelyhood, I will get a more affordable ruger mini-14 target, or a cz in 223, similar to my cz858, since both can be bought for under a grand...darkhorse might be a used widowmaker ar180, or the cheaper kel-tec su16 canadian model non restricted.

3. CZ455 .22lr target barrel, for long range shooting of cheap ammo.

4. Glock G22 40sw....I hate glocks, but if shtf, I want one, in the same caliber that most police around here use, because ammo, mags, parts, could be found in many places if shtf, plus they are light.

5. Norinco m14... semi auto 308/7.62 nato...strong battle rifle, with ammo everywere if shtf.

6. Bolt action long range hunting/shtf sniper rifle, chambered in either 300 win mag or 338 lapua.

7. lastly, a nice O/U shotgun 12gauge or nice semi auto such as a browning, benneli, or beretta, for sporting clays, hunting, shtf defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
    To carry at all (concealed or otherwise) you need to get an Authorization to Carry (ATC)...and they're damn near impossible to get.
    No concealed carry, in general is permitted in Canada, but to be honest, its not the same level of violence in Canadian Cities to justify CCW permits. I would love to carry my 9mm, but I can honestly say I have never felt like I need to, or any person I know has never felt like they needed one for safety. Its just different here. Example...Detroit USA & Windsor Ontario, Canada, are 2 equally sized Cities, seperated by a river along the border. Detroit has a couple hundred murders each year.....Windsor has approx 1 murder every 3 years in total.....I'm not trying to start a USA vs Canada thread here, just stating a fact....the level of deadly violence in the USA rivals Africa, which may have something to do with so many poor African Americans in the USA...In Canada, unless you are in a major City such as Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, or Vancouver, there is hardly no African Canadians...not trying to sound racist, but it is a fact. In ethnically diverse major Canadian Cities, such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, or Calgary, there are alot of violence & murders, however the vast majority is gang related, in the wrong parts of town, involving immigrants, which gives the honest, law abiding immigrants a bad name unfortunately.

If you surveyed 100 Canadians if they were ever or were ever worried of a possible home invasion, carjacking, attacked by a violent criminal, or been involved in a store robbery, etc, etc.... I would be surprised more than 1% of Canadians responded to such a survey, stating that they feared for their life & wish that they had a concealed handgun, for protection....sure, half of the gun owners would like to carry a handgun, but I would be surprised if more than 1% have ever felt feared that their lives were ever in danger (general law abiding folks, not gang members, or scum living a unsavory lifestyle)

I fully understand the American pro ccw saying.....it would be nice to have a fire extinguisher in the unlikely event of a fire, just incase, although hopefully it will never be needed....although it is possibly that someone we all know will need one some day.

In Canada, that saying is really like comparing oranges to apples.....honestly, a more appropiate saying would be.....I am building a 8 foot tall by 2 foot thick concrete barrier around my house, because I probably won't ever need it, but incase a out of control car here in my subdivision, smashes into another car that ricochets onto my front lawn, were I play catch with my son, then I would be really glad that I built that 8 foot tall by 2 foot thick wall here around my yard, in my subdivision, were the cars travel at 30mph.......to be honest, this is the best type (tbh silly) of comparison that you could make.....even though, I am a gun toting Conservative, I can honestly say that as much as I want a CCW permit, and go buy a new carry pistol, I really need to carry one for my safety, about as much as I need to install a 8 foot tall by 2 foot thick cement barrier around my house, here in the suburbs to prevent a car traveling 30mph, to accidentally crash onto my front lawn or through my front wall in to my living room & kill my family.....its just not necessary here, and most American members of the NRA really don't fully understand how things are here, which is why they think its such a loss of civil rights, and don't think us Canadians are as free as the folks in the USA.....We are just as much a home of the brave and free, if not more free, atleast in post 9/11 than Americans. Actually theres about 70 Countries in the world just as free the USA, but most Americans don't know that, because they really have little reason to, because if you live in a great Country that you have no interest in leaving, and are'nt required to learn about other Countries in depth, then there is little reason to know what life is like outside of the USA, besides what might be heard by a rumour....In Canada, most of us have family, work, or vacation, that could take us occasionally to the USA. Plus, our school system goes in to depth, in teaching us about other Countries, such as the USA & England, so most of us have been given insight to the differences, and similarity's, as well as past historical events, in both point of views. Lets not forget about the fact that although half of American movies are filmed in Canada, they let you believe that it is the USA, and try to show how things are in the USA, which teaches the world about the USA...right or wrong, accurate or not, it is what it is....Not many movies are out there that describe Canada accurately...and if there is a movie or TV show that represents Canada, then its usually a butt of a joke in a movie, that is some sort of American sterotype towards Canada, that is so far from the truth, that most Canadians find it funny also, however I would geuss that the majority of Americans are'nt aware that it is so far from the truth.

Most Americans don't realize, nor would they likely care because most Americans never leave the USA, but the USA is thought to have its borders surrounded by a 2-way mirror. The world can see into America, but America can't see out....I don't believe that all American's are oblivious that theres another 70 Countries in the world, just as free or more as the USA, and that there is not a 2-way mirror surrounding the USA, preventing Americans to know whats behind the mirror, but unfortunately there is rarely a single movie ( made in Canada), that shows Americans saying "we are the land of the free", which does tend to make the other 70 free Countries think, that Americans have no idea that they are'nt the only free Country in the world.

Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I offended .....I was just trying to give insight to why we don't have nor need CCW permits, and show the reasons why, along with the reason why most Americans don't understand why we have no CCW permits.

P.S. you can get a ATC permit (similar to CCW) if you have a type of wilderness related job or way of life that makes it necessary, such as bush pilot, bear baiter/guide, forestry worker, etc...my uncle lives 3 hours North of Toronto & traps furbearing animals, bear baits & guides, and has a ATC, and carries a 357 magnum revolver occasionaly, but prefers to just bring a shotgun on his ATV, while alone in the bush baiting bears, that might get to close for a early sampling of bait.
    Last edited by blueflash; 07-03-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueflash View Post

Most Americans don't realize, nor would they likely care because most Americans never leave the USA, but the USA is thought to have its borders surrounded by a 2-way mirror. The world can see into America, but America can't see out....I don't believe that all American's are oblivious that theres another 70 Countries in the world, just as free or more as the USA, and that there is not a 2-way mirror surrounding the USA, preventing Americans to know whats behind the mirror, but unfortunately there is rarely a single movie ( made in Canada), that shows Americans saying "we are the land of the free", which does tend to make the other 70 free Countries think, that Americans have no idea that they are'nt the only free Country in the world.

Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I offended .....I was just trying to give insight to why we don't have nor need CCW permits, and show the reasons why, along with the reason why most Americans don't understand why we have no CCW permits.

P.S. you can get a ATC permit (similar to CCW) if you have a type of wilderness related job or way of life that makes it necessary, such as bush pilot, bear baiter/guide, forestry worker, etc...my uncle lives 3 hours North of Toronto & traps furbearing animals, bear baits & guides, and has a ATC, and carries a 357 magnum revolver occasionaly, but prefers to just bring a shotgun on his ATV, while alone in the bush baiting bears, that might get to close for a early sampling of bait.

Yes, yes. I've heard of canada, but not in school or anything.. I once played a round of Grand Theft Auto that took place there. Mostly uninhabited..ya know, eskimo's and all.

And as you can plainly see by this map, there arnt "another 70 countries" in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by backdoor View Post
    To my understanding (Hubby has the registered guns), the Sherriff will be knocking at the door when the SHTF, demanding the guns. What would be ideal is to have an unregistered gun in Ontario.
    Highly unlikely.
    We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!