Thread: honey bees

Default honey bees

tonight i became the proud father of two italian queen bees and two swarms.
    actually i sent the wife to the SABA (southeast alaska bee association) and bought two hives and all the goodies that it involves. of cource delivery is a few months away. anybody in alaska have any experience. i've never seen it done or know anything about it but it sure sounds like prepping. i hope those bee suits work. if i get pissed off i'll set the whole damn thing on fire!!!!!!!!

i'm hoping my vegetable garden and fruit trees will appreciate my human blood sacrifice

POLLINATION !!!! can i get an amen

that's great. keep us posted. i'd like to see an ongoing beekeepin thread if we have enough contributors.
    i got a call last week from the local supplier informing me that he won't be able to come up with the two nucs i ordered. seems the hard freeze got to his hives and killed off at least six.
    guess i'll have to go for package bees. my hives are built and i'm looking forward to getting the girls working.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger69 View Post

i'm hoping my vegetable garden and fruit trees will appreciate my human blood sacrifice
    The Mead you can make isn't a bad aspect either Easy stuff to make, and pretty tasty.

ranger, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole setup cost? The equipment, hives, etc. We've been thinking about getting into that, but wasn't sure it would be worth the cash outlay. My wife talked to someone who said that 2008 was a really bad year, because it was so cool and rainy. Hardly had any honey at all. The good would obviously be the increased pollination factor, which we'll need with another greenhouse going up this year.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

mad dog

pull up SABA (south central alaska bee association) on internet. wife said there was 100 people at meeting in eagle river and the people there were very nice. there are classes coming up in march on how raise bees. the president of the club is steve victor (victors@mtaonline.net). steve is also handling bee orders (must be done immediately). i paid $230 dollars for 2 sets of italian honey bees. steve also build hives for sale. i paid 481 dollars for two hives. kick in another 300 bucks for bee suit, smoker, tools ect. any excess honey you have will be sold at the state fair (at least i think; not very sure on this point) but the guys at work are very excited and i'm sure i can unload some. and yes MEAD !!!!!. i'm quite the merry wine maker. just tasted a 10 gal batch last time in town of "yard wine" and it was fabulous

I have been a beekeeper for several years, mostly in the tropics. I make all my gear, breed my own queens. I personally prefer africanized bees as they are massively better survivors, though a tad aggressive (not nearly as bad as the media hype). One thing I can say DO NOT BUY HAWAIIAN QUEENS, trust me and the thousands upon thousands of dollars lost. Happy to answer any questions about beekeeping.

honey makes good mead you can get drunk viking style

Quote Originally Posted by odinraven View Post
    honey makes good mead you can get drunk viking style
    What's a Viking style drunk? Lets hear the story!!!
    Gold is for the optimist, I'm diversifying into can goods