Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 gallon food storage

I got mine a few at a time for free from the bakery over at 'Wally World'.

Guys thank you for all the responces.

Quote Originally Posted by leannain View Post
    Check the local Bakery, CostCo, BJs, Sam's Club or Superwalmart, Dunkin donuts. Many of them give away / sell for pennies their food grade buckets. You will need to wash them and beware of pickle buckets apparently you have a harder time getting the odor out.

I am a huge fan of Gamma Seal lids instead of the snap on lids. I get mine here http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...ammaseals.html
    What a Goddess

my thoghts exactly, why pay for them
    "If you can hear my voice, you are the Resistance" by John Connor

I've kind of written off the whole 5 gallon bucket approach. I'm using smaller (10"x14" same as #10 can) sized 5mil mylar bags. Sure, I have lots more bags, but the smaller size is much easier to use and when SHTF I'll be able to barter more easily with smaller packages of rice, sugar, flour, etc. I still need some way to protect them...maybe 5 gallon buckets ;-)

I haven't used the 5 gallon bucket approach, either. One of the main reasons is that if a 5 gallon bucket is damaged, or something goes wrong with the contents, I've lost the whole batch. I use a combination of storage containers, depending on the item and the shelf life. For long term (30 year shelf life) I simply use 2 liter soda bottles for applicable items. If bugs get in one bottle of rice, the rest isn't contaminated. The way I look at it is that I won't be around 30 years from now. If I only get 1/2 the shelf life of rice or pasta, for example, I'm still ahead.

Since we're not in an area prone to earthquakes, glass containers are my choice for things that won't store well in 2 or 3 liter bottles. Depending, again, on the item, foods stored in vacuum sealed canning jars will still be around and safe to eat when the next generation, cleans out my pantry. As will the shaped pasta stored in gallon pickle jars. There's no question about these being vermin proof. Rats (not talking about tiny mice) and squirrels can cut through plastic. I learned that the hardway with some things I had stored in a shed.

In our case, we eat what we store. Which brings up another point. I'd rather open a small quantity at a time and use it, as applicable. Don't have to worry about resealing a bulk container over and over again.

All that said, :-) I'm not opposed to using buckets for some things. That's probably the route I'll go when I get a grain mill and start storing large quantities of wheat and corn. That's still on my to-do list (sigh). Hope to get that done this summer. Don't have anywhere to store that in volume yet, in a vermin proof building. Can probably stash a couple of buckets in a closet that's being converted into a pantry for home canned foods, but that's about it, inside my home. This summer hope to build a metal clad storage bin for buckets and plastic totes, inside the shed.

Just my 2-cents on our approach. Your circumstances may be different. Thus, what works for us, may not be suitable for you.

Lee

Azure Standard .com or go to local restaurant or retail bakery and grab buckets from them, usually 3 gallon size,, easier to carry we have over 60 so far.. not all filled but i go every week and buy more..ask for glass jars with lids too..

#2 HDPE 5 gallon buckets "are food grade" buckets. The buckets I have gotten from the local Publix are all marke 2 HDPE and all contained food items. If you can find a bucket marked 2 HDPE at Lowes/Home Depot or Walmart at a good price pick them up and you will be ok. I looked at the buckets at Walmart and noticed the lilds do not have the seal on them so be careful about that.

I have gotten all my buckets and lids for free at the Publix Deli just for asking. Try that route first.

Why would you buy them? Most places want to get rid of them.

Firehouse Subs sells buckets with a lid for 2 bucks.
    If you have a burger joint near you, ask for their pickle buckets.

Check Craigslist in your area...you can usually get food grade - 5 gallon buckets with a lid and handle for under $2.00 per.

Just got 7 with lids for $1 each at Walmart bakery.