Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ultimate Alaskan rifle?

a cop buddy of mine had to face down a bear with a .45 acp, he won. When the ranger asked him how he explained "I just shot it 7 times in the face" one went in the eye, one up the nose, bear bled out. Now he takes a shotgun full of slugs.

I have not been that far north and our bears are massively smaller, so the shotgun is my all around. Love to have a 45-70 though.

I

I am new to the forum but need to add my 2 cents I have a 264Win mag that I hand load with 160 round nose that should be good for any thing in the state except Brown Bear. But I agree that the 45/70 is the ideal Alaska rifle as it will handle any thing in the state within range.

Quote Originally Posted by 264Win View Post
    I

I am new to the forum but need to add my 2 cents I have a 264Win mag that I hand load with 160 round nose that should be good for any thing in the state except Brown Bear. But I agree that the 45/70 is the ideal Alaska rifle as it will handle any thing in the state within range.
    I am a big fan of the 6.5's that really showed me how effective sectional density is, especially at long range. The 264 is not a common round and all the ones I have seen were beautiful custom rifles. I've been sitting here trying to imagine yours. I settled on the 270 with 170 grain round nose for my hunting round as it struck a good balance with BC and more bullet options than the 6.5. I have absolute confidence in the 6.5x55 for Alaskan hunting and pushing a 6.5 with a belted magnum attracts my interest. This unique choice shows more than common knowledge.
    "Free Men don't need permission to own guns"

I guess you are right about the 45/70 as a great put um down now rifle. I haven't seen you at the fire house in a while? The Marlin will be my next gun purchase but I think the 26" barrel on the CB model looks good too.

Is the 338 lapua a viable all around caliber for alaskan game of all sizes?

A buddy of mine just had a 444 marlin lever gun cut down to 16.5" and re-crowned it is actually shorter than his ak74 and is still silly accurate, I've seen what his handloads do to a 6" diameter oak tree (the cavity was so big the tree fell over) I'd take that one to Alaska any day. I carried a double barrel 12ga on my backpack in the old days when I solo hiked , the one time I met a bear he lumbered away, but if I'd had to use it, I would have felt confident with the BRI Slug, and 000 buck I kept it loaded with, I would prefer to be behind something or up a tree just in case, but I know what it will do. I think a big hole with maximum trauma/penetration is the way to go with dangerous game
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

I originally wanted a Marlin guide Gun, but ended up with a stainless steel Marlin 45/70 1895XLR

A little longer barrel and some Hornady LEVERevolution give it range that would not otherwise be possible. What a pleasure to shoot.
    "Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

If it is the one gun only concept, I would opt for the 12 ga and slugs, buck, and birdshot, to hunt everything. The trajectory is similar enough to the 45/70 that I would be comfortable with either. A thought is the weight of the rounds though. I have the 45/70 in the marlin 1985 and love it and certainly would not fault anyone for choosing it. Its a fun gun and a very useful round. That said the 30-06 would seem to be my choice if it had to be a rifle caliber, Longer range, and loaded with premium bullets will do the job. In an M1 or other semi-auto that would allow fast follow up shots and still have more effective range for the average shooter.