Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate Alaskan rifle?

Default The ultimate Alaskan rifle?

Okay, Here's a question that I've discussed at length with some of my other friends and I want to see what your opinions are: If you could only have one rifle when SHTF what would it be? My personal choice is the Marlin model 1895 GS 45/70 with an 18" barrel. I had mine modified with an extended mag tube, ghost rings, a bigger loop lever and, of course, a trigger job. The reasons I'm picking that particular rifle? It's light, fast to point, big enough to knock down anything up here, and, if necessary can be loaded with black powder rounds and lead slugs without losing TOO much performance. True, it's not the ultimate combat rifle, but I'm thinking along the lines of practical Alaska survival. By my line of thinking the population up here is sparse enough that I expect to be a lot more concerned with survival hunting and the occasional 1-2 shots after SHTF than I am a long drawn out shootout with masses of armed troops. I love discussing the subject, though, and I'd like to hear your insites on the subject!

Well when in Alaska do like the Alaskans.

I have been a Marlin fan for more years than I care to remember.
    My current "truck gun" is a cut down Marlin 336 in .30.30 , while my favorite is the 35 Marlin.
    My next intended Marlin purchase is in fact going to be a Marlin Alaska Guide in 45/70.
    Keep your powder dry.

The best rifle I ever had suited for Alaska was the M-1 Garand. I just got to old to be packing it over mountains or it would be all I would own now.

For survival hunting I would probably go with a 300 win mag, cause that will let you reach out and hit things without having to get close, and a handgun of sorts with a chest holster, I prefer a 45 revovler. but that is just me, my dad just bought a 45/70 and I do like that gun.

Yeah, thats like what I do now. I have a 270 for hunting and a 44 for defense. Some guys prefer to carry a bigger rifle to serve both purposes but the best gun is the one you have with you and my 44 has been with me for 50 years. Only time I carry a rifle is when I'm hunting. It makes a difference whether you are hunting them or they are hunting you. Funny how so much is put into energy figures. Close up my 44 has 3 times the killing power with 320 grain hard cast bullets but the 270 delivers power at a distance. I use my 45/70 as I would my 44. They both have the trajectory of a watermelon. With th 45/70 you have to reload to get full potential because factory ammo is loaded to black powder specs for liability reasons. My loads approach 458 magnum loads. That is why Marlin came out with the 450 that is same size case without rim so it can't be chambered in older rifles. It is just more power than I need but a fine defensive caliber.

HAve you looked at the Buffalo bore rounds for the 45/70? I bought some 430gr. magnums that they put out and..wow.. I agree about the .44 mag pistol, though, I usually carry mine any time I'm out walking.

Never been there myself but this is what my buddy carried when he went there salmon fishing a few years ago. (Not my pic, just a image from the net, but his looked exactly like this)

Mossberg 590 folding stock, 12 ga. loaded with 3 inch slugs.

Yes I have. Garrett also makes some good cartridges also. I load my own using 420 grain "Cast Performance" bullets. I loaded heavier bullets but my Marlin Guide gun as the micro croove rifling and would not stabilize larger ones. You can push 45/70 loads much more but not the marlins are about midrange. I pushed to hard the first sign of pressure is a stuck case and that eliminates the advantage of the quick follow up shots of the lever action. I got rid of my Marlin because I prefer my TC Encore in 45/70 and I have fired 575 grain bullets from it. It's a serious hand cannon!

PS Shotguns slugs lack sectional density. I'm old school Alaskan and you how we like our 30.06's and 44's. Why change?

Funny this should come up, just had this conversation yesterday.

Got the Mossberg (and a handful of other shotguns) and yup, hub had to add a scope-let's not even go there on how much that would help, eh? LOL

We have the .223, and one hunting rifle. Next on the list is something more reliable than the .223 for suppressive fire-any ideas? Would like to keep to common loads of course.

I also need some type of shotgun with slugs/sabot loads to stash at the barn for the occasional wandering brownie-any ideas there?

This is 264Win also in Willow

I would have to agree with you on the 45/70 guide gun with extended mag tube. It is the perfect weapon for Alaska game . If in stainless steel and opened loop lever?