Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearm training

Default Firearm training

Here's my question folks: I've became a gun owner this year (after having my thinking about the whole deal adjusted!) and want to be proficient. I own a .22 semi, an xDM 40, a Marlin 45-70 lever action, and a Marlin .22 rifle (love it).
    I would seriously like some good training, especially with the 40 as it's going to be my main carry. I want to get an AR-15, I love shooting those too so it's probably my next purchase.
    Anyone had any classes (I'm in Anchorage but willing to go to the Valley) hereabouts that are worth the money? Alaska Tactical looks good but $$; are they the norm and has anyone gone thru them? I see they want you to have a concealed carry to take their classes. Anywhere else?
    What I want is to take some defensive and tactical training classes as there's no way I'd be able to learn what I need on my own!
    Thanks for your input!

Many CCW instructors are NRA trained.Im sure you can find someone in your AO that take you as a student or a new friend.Id call the NRA and some local gun shops.
    When Death looks you in the eye and smiles,smile back with a 45.

Charlee,

Give my buddy Steve Untiet a call at Alaska Custom firearms. He may have some insite as to where you could get some training. I know he teaches the hunter education, Bow hunting certification and muzzleloader certification classes in Anchorage. His number at the shop is 349-GUNS. If you're ever looking for something to do stop in at his shop and take a look at some of his custom rifles, the guy is a real artist! He built a .338 fed sheep rifle that weighs in at less than five lbs, with scope! His shop is on old Seward down by Dimond. It's on the left hand side just past the gas station. He's in the same strip mall that Wiggys is in.

There is also a lot of help to be had at the Birchwood shooting park. They do rifle and small arms there, as well as clay targets. Anyone there can probably direct you, and there are a number of groups doing training there regularly.

And they won't require you to take a CCW class either, I bet

Yeah, it's a good bunch of guys out there. I used to be a member before I bought my place out in willow and can shoot for free. You have to be a little careful out there when it's busy, though. I made the mistake of going out one busy sat. morning and ended up sharing the range with a real winner. All of us on the lane had called a clear range for target reset and three of us were still setting targets when this idiot decided to start shooting. I'll say this for the range, though, they DID remove him quickly when we all went in and complained!

It's odd that they wanted you to have CCW permit, seeing as how alaska is a Carry Concealed state regardless of permit or not.

They also do CCW training...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    theres a few reasons to still have 1.
    for one is so you can travel and many states allow and accept alaskas. you can google a state wide list of which states reciprocate which states.
    reason 2 is its a handy way to let an officer know your carrying by handing the card with your driv. lic. in certain situations you may bot want the people around you or the scene know you carry. this is a discrete way of doing so. When you did have to have the permit the issue number was the same as your ak driv lic number and when you id was ran it would tell the officer that the person was a ccw. i dont know if its the same now a days or not.
    and #3 reason is i like being able to walk out of the store with my handgun right off the bat.

I don't disagree with your reasoning, however I choose not to be involved in government control of rights that are already granted to us. Getting pulled over is a simple put your hands on the steering wheel, and inform the officer. Pretty straightforward. #3 FTF transactions work very well.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.