Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Machete or Hawk

Default Machete or Hawk

I have been looking at the 12 " spear point machete http://www.coldsteel.com/sppoma.html
    and the Trail Hawk http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... SKU=CS90TH
    I can see the advantages and disadvantages in both in a BOB /GHB . I am leaning more to the machete because I think it might be more versitle .
    Spot

Your second link is broken, but here it is fixed. I am probably biased towards a machete, but I've never owned a tomahawk...closest being a decent hatchet.

d1337

I would say both. I built myself a traditional tomahawk to aid in field dressing large game, and I am currently in the process of building a large machete for brush clearing, etc. Since neither one is a direct replacement for the other, I would suggest you get the one that would be the most useful to you, then buy the other when you can. Or build them if you posess sufficient wood and metalworking skills. Bladeforums.com helped me on the 'Hawk, not much on the machete though.

I think you should have both hawk can be use as a hammer and a ax Machete
    is good for cutting vines and necks arms but the hawk good for head and hands off.they are both good

Go to Himalayan Imports or similar Nepalese site and order yourself a well-made kurkurie (sp).

Then you will have the best of both, and a fine weapon as well!

for a few $$ more I would look into the Trail Boss

http://www.coldsteel.com/trailboss.html

gues my roadtrippng is over. home in east texas where i think i will MAKE a home.

having spent every summer of my youth from 12 to 19 swinging a machete for a living ill state that no machete short of 24 inches is worth gettin and no style but one of the collins type. do some research and there are some outfits making what you need in a machete.

24 inch blade

4 handle pins

round black plastic handle with a very small tang on the end

good machetes do not use very hard steel.

must have a kevlar uncuttable glove to sharpen them.

i dont often get up on a high horse and tell anyone, "YOU MUST...", but if you decide on machete it MUST be 24 inche blade, it MUST be a collins style and you MUST learn to sharpen it properly

having those kevlar gloves to sharpen it is almost a must. lord knows ive ripped my hand open a couple times before those were out there.

a 24 inch bladed machete, properly sharpened, will cut right through a inch and a half hardwood limb or sampling.

ive had to cut trees and limbs as much as 8 inches in diameter with machete, it takes time and you HAVE to make good strokes as there is the possibility of the blade shattering.

if you wanna do heavy brush clearing, look into brush ax or brush hook.

this is a bill hook with a handle about four feet long and about an 18 inch hooked blade. kinda like a naganata on an acid trip.

the brush ax is long enough that pole arm fighting methods will work.

tomahawks, or at least, traditional mountain man/indian type 'hawks are very light and small and will work for cuttin small wood. good fighting tool also.

if its either/or id pick a 24 inch machete every time.
    Last edited by ogun; 12-26-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Hawk FTW. Its what I want for my B-Day.
    It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to [he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any life-threatening attack made upon him with a deadly weapon Gibson v KY,34SW936

I like the antique hatchet but am in the process of making a sheath for the knife and cleaver together as these are the 2 things that i use most when butchering, i can even cut fire wood with the cleaver and its not as bulky to carry as the hatchet.

I've carried both a machete and a 'hawk. I will take a 'hawk over a machete any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I would avoid the Cold Steel 'hawks though. They are cast steel and prone to breakage as such. You can purchase a forged and tempered rifleman's hawk for less than $25 from various sources online. I've had great luck packing a 'hawk. I can chop anything with it that I can chop with a machete and the 'hawk is hell for handier.

I've trained in the use of it as a fighting weapon and while ANYTHING can be an effective weapon, for my money, you're better off fixing bayonets...