Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullet wound clotting meds

So if these are made of shrimp wil they react with folks who have seafood allergies?

Let me see what still in my stash! Will pm ya!

To all of you, thank you so much! I would never have guessed at the handfull of treatments available for serious wounds.

Mushroom spores? Amazing!

Don't forget Comet, that scouring powder under the sink. It's been used for years on cattle when dehorning them. Probably burns like hell but beats bleeding out.
    It is estimated that over one million people attended the inauguration. Only 14 missed work that day.

The last movie I remember where the only people that had guns were Police and military is "Schindlers List".

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
    I use Yunnan Baiyao. It's really cheap too, but works as described. You can find the powder for as little as 4$. It comes in pill form too.
    Hey-- I actually came across someone who knows about yunnan. I was going to post it - then I saw yours. I use it all of the time- it has many uses and has quite a history...thought some would like to know more about it- especially how it was used in the Vietnam war. Many know that the packet comes with a red tablet on top-- it is for bullet wounds. Read more.....

Yunnan Paiyao /Yunnan Baiyao (云南白药) also known as Yunnan Paiyao has been extensively used and considered a sort of miracle drug for wounds, pain, and hemorrhage. Unlike Western pain drugs, it does not turn off pain centers in the brain, but instead facilitates circulation, bringing oxygen to the injury.
    It is useful for any type of open cuts and any kind of surgery. It reduces recovery time for surgery by half because it mends injured blood vessels. It does not interfere with Western sedative drugs, so can be used the same day as surgery. By immediately activating blood circulation, it helps resolve bleeding, pain, and swelling. It heals oozing wounds and damaged blood vessels, while expelling pus and counteracting toxins. It is a natural antibiotic.
    Although the ingredients are still secret, the two main herbs are raw and steamed tienchi (ginseng). The raw form is cooling, the steamed form is warming. It is the combination of the two forms, along with other herbs, that make Yunnan Baiyao a balanced and powerful "drug" for pain and injury.

Westerners first learned of the Chinese herbal mixture, “Yunnan paiyao”, meaning “the white medicine of Yunnan”, during the Vietnam War. Members of the U.S. military discovered that prisoners from North Vietnam often carried with them a tiny bottle of this product to take in the event that they were injured and bleeding, either internally or externally. Over the ensuing decades, Yunnan paiyao has grown in popularity among complementary medical practitioners, and even in some conventional medicine practices for its hemostatic and thrombolytic properties.
    At first glance, the foil packet of Yunnan paiyao capsules may seem puzzling, because an unidentified little red pill lies at one end. Folklore has it that the North Vietnamese soldiers would take this red “hit pill” when seriously wounded, as in receiving a gunshot wound, and this wound staunch the bleeding, and perhaps save their lives. The Chinese Herbal Patent Formula guide contains an equally curious recommendation for the hit pill: “In cases of serious wounds or bleeding, take the single red pill that comes with each bottle first, with wine.”
    The Chinese doctor Qu Huangzhang developed Yunnan paiyao in the Yunnan province of China in the early 1900’s.
    *I have used Yunnan Paiyao in my office and in my home for many years. It is a wonderful herb and everyone should know about it. It can be purchased on line or in your City’s Chinatown. A must have
    “You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life?” Rumi

If I thought I would get shot and would carry a kit to treat myself or others that HemCon bandage is the ****.

Man is it pricey though.

If I wore armor I would have a 4x4 of HemCon in my kit.

For those who know, does the HemCon bandages expire or lose effectivness with age?

6 months, not very long.
    Last edited by alasbabalon; 12-29-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: question

Quote Originally Posted by alasbabalon View Post
    If I thought I would get shot and would carry a kit to treat myself or others that HemCon bandage is the ****.

Man is it pricey though.

If I wore armor I would have a 4x4 of HemCon in my kit.

For those who know, does the HemCon bandages expire or lose effectivness with age?

6 months, not very long.
    It has a three year shelf life. I would also imagine that it cannot get wet or dried out.
    IMHO-- I would look into things that do not expire and are less fragile. There is so much in your pantry that will stop bleeding. They are also less expensive.
    First, we do not know when TSHTF- we need to have things that we can keep for a long time. We also do not know how long we will be on the move.
    Salt, honey and vinegar will stop bleeding and kill germs. Cayenne pepper stops bleeding and is bactericidal. For external bleeding, take cayenne internally and pour cayenne directly on the wound.
    Cayenne has been known to stop heart attacks within 30 seconds. When taken orally, Capsicum (cayenne pepper) is said to be unequal for its ability to boost circulation and increase heart action. Capsicum exerts a variety of desirable actions on the entire cardiovascular system. Capsicum has an energizing effect on the entire system. It has traditionally been used for overcoming fatigue and restoring stamina and vigor. It is a natural stimulant without the threatening side effects (palpitations, hyper-activity or rise in blood pressure) of most other Actual cayenne rather than capsaicin has been tested for pain as well and can be applied topically as a plaster.
    Also- do not forget the Yunnan Paiyao. Do not underestimate it!
    Last edited by Lady Patriot; 12-29-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Where I work we use Cautery on a daily basis. We call it Bovie. When we pull a sheath we use a seaweed based clotting agent. Neptune patch. Ok a few weeks ago I was cutting some meat . The kids burst into the kitchen knocked into me and I sliced my hand. My wife was trying some Japanese cooking and had some dried seaweed. I slapped some of it on it. Well since I am on my phone I'll keep this short. We pull sheaths from the femoral artery. With a activated clotting time of ovet 250 secs.Normal ACTs are less than 70secs or so. Normally when we pull a 8 french sheath we have to hold pressure for @ 10-12 minutes to get complete hemostasis. With the seawood patch it cuts it down to 4-5 minutes. Just a bit more info.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeofthewoods View Post
    Where I work we use Cautery on a daily basis. We call it Bovie. When we pull a sheath we use a seaweed based clotting agent. Neptune patch. Ok a few weeks ago I was cutting some meat . The kids burst into the kitchen knocked into me and I sliced my hand. My wife was trying some Japanese cooking and had some dried seaweed. I slapped some of it on it. Well since I am on my phone I'll keep this short. We pull sheaths from the femoral artery. With a activated clotting time of ovet 250 secs.Normal ACTs are less than 70secs or so. Normally when we pull a 8 french sheath we have to hold pressure for @ 10-12 minutes to get complete hemostasis. With the seawood patch it cuts it down to 4-5 minutes. Just a bit more info.
    The seaweed is great-- Alginate dressings work wonders! See how natural things do the trick!
    Are you in the OR? When you talked about Bovie's - it brought me back to the good ole' days

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Patriot View Post
    The seaweed is great-- Alginate dressings work wonders! See how natural things do the trick!
    Are you in the OR? When you talked about Bovie's - it brought me back to the good ole' days
    Close. I work in the Cardiac Cath Lab. I am an Electro Physiology tech. I assist in pacemaker ICD implants and ablations.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by edgeofthewoods View Post
    Close. I work in the Cardiac Cath Lab. I am an Electro Physiology tech. I assist in pacemaker ICD implants and ablations.

Chuck
    Good to meet you Chuck. I was an OR nurse some time ago. Now, as you can see from my posts, I am into Natural Medicine. I like to mix it up a bit
    I really miss the "smell" of the OR!
    Christina