Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offroad Mobility

Default Offroad Mobility

For those of you that have asked me about military mobility requirements, this is a link to a document presented in 2003 about the military definition of, and how various calculations are done. Little things like VCI, etc....

This is NOT intended to spark ANY debate-it is what it is. If you don't understand something, ASK, don't complain. If you don't care about this info, PLEASE move on where your comments are welcomed (opinions by uninformed people aren't, in this thread).

http://www.slideshare.net/confirm/Mj...b744-slideshow

This is a PDF slideshow, so it is not too technical (oxitt, I am sure you have already seen this....).

Best regards,

Bob

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcharger View Post
    Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting and helpful.
    You are welcome. The thing to remember is that these calcs allow you (with the associated expertiece) predict problem areas on your route map where your vehicle will have issues "getting there", where ever "there" is. Combined with my other posts on predicting your fuel milage over new terrain (see previous posts by me) you have the suite of tools needed to accurately predict the "how" of any expected bugout route....without the guesswork (that leads to failure that so many think they know won't happen to them).

There is a method to my maddness....LOL.

Thumbs up Good and.............

Good, interesting, and helpful info..........Thanks
    Never Down and Out.........
    Always Ready..................

Every little bit helps.

Bob, thanks a bunch.

Read this again. Can you further define RMS? I've never stopped to consider so much information when building a trail rig. The table on page 21 just blows my mind. I would have never thought to go that slow over terrain that would cycle my suspension 2 inches. But then the military will hand anyone a rifle and call him a marksman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    Read this again. Can you further define RMS? I've never stopped to consider so much information when building a trail rig. The table on page 21 just blows my mind. I would have never thought to go that slow over terrain that would cycle my suspension 2 inches. But then the military will hand anyone a rifle and call him a marksman.
    RMS is an acronynm for Relative Mean Surface roughness. This is a pair of numbers and indicates the variable quantity of ground penetration a tire will see in different compositions of soil. For example, an RMS value of 0.5-6.5 means there is a surface variation of .5 inch above (caused by variation in the "hardness" of the soil) the average (mean) surface line to 6.5 inches of penetration into the soil.

Clear? There is more to say, but I don't want to lose anyone....

I'm all ears. If I don't understand, I'll keep asking questions or keep digging.

The RMS defines the difference between "soils" and rock. For example, a rock can build up an angle above 100% slope (due to the interlocking of the "facets" of the rock) while a soil cannot.

100% slope equals 45 degrees above the horizontal plane.