Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offroad Mobility

Bumped to inform those thinking about building a BOV.

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    Bumped to inform those thinking about building a BOV.
    I actually changed my name from BOV to BOTT, Bug Out Tactical Truck...

Phase 1 should be complete early July...

Now that we won the FMTV contract, we will modify those designs for the U.S. Army. Maybe a smaller version of the MTVR would be sweet...

Ive posted both my BOVs pics in the vehicle thread.
    What I didnt show was my dads BOV. If you think my rigs are bad@ss, you should see his.
    A few years ago, my dad was approached by DOD about a project he prototyped in his own shop. BTW, this isnt your typical shop, with your typical tools. Anyway, they wanted an amphibious recon vehicle like no other in their inventory with a high IED survivablity. It had to carry two combat geared Marines and come in below 1500 kilos. 18 months and several million dollars later, 2 prototypes were complete and were going through the documentation and testing phase.
    These were not something you would see on Howe and Howe. These were state-of-the-art light armored recon rigs with a LOT of goodies like LADAR, FLIR and a whole bunch of other stuff I shouldnt talk about.
    My point is, it was designed to operate outside the conventional terrain limits of other vehicles. and it does.
    One thing was overlooked in that report. SKILL. I have spent the better part of my life honing my offroad skills. From coast to coast and everywhere in between I have mastered every type of extreme terrain (and recovery). No mater how great the vehicles capablities, it is nothing with out skill. Skill comes from experience and knowing your limits and the vehicles limits.
    so get out there and practice.
    BOL; yep BOV 1; diesel 4x4, 15k winch, locking diffs, 35" M/Ts, 140gal fuel cap BOV 2; see avatar

Skill has NOTHING to do with the tools capability.

True, the tools ability has an absoute limit, but what good is a tire iron if you don't know how to change a tire? A tool can also have more than one use.
    I am intimately familar with how some of this data is collected.
    Much of the testing is done in such a way as to produce raw mathmatical data that can be applied to a specific algorithm that is designed to, in this case, aid commanders in a given theater of operation. For that reason vehicle and terrain data is performed with strictly controled parameters that can be duplicated with little or no room for variance or deviation.
    While this is helpful when planning for invasion and supply lines of an armored division, IMHO the "lone wolf" can generally operate outside the accepted limits of the vehicle and terrain IF his/her skills allow.
    BOL; yep BOV 1; diesel 4x4, 15k winch, locking diffs, 35" M/Ts, 140gal fuel cap BOV 2; see avatar

Immaterial to the point of this thread. The point is how military vehicles ARE judged.

BTW I do this for a living and have for over 30 years.

Doing what for 30 years exactly?

Nah Gomer...it ain't worth it. This isn't the thread.

Toyota-Erik, I have designed military and civilian wheeled vehicles all my professional life. PM me if you want to know more.

End of discussion.