Thread: Small pellet stove recommendations

Default Small pellet stove recommendations

I'm in the market for a smallish pellet stove to heat our bonus room, which is about 300 sq ft over an insulated garage. I've ruled out propane as too expensive, both in initial setup (heater, tank, permits, plumbing) and fuel costs, and a wood stove would be difficult. We use the room as a classroom, so it only sees use for a few hours a day, and the ability to quickly start and stop a pellet stove seems much more convenient than straight wood.

My main problem is finding a pellet stove that's designed more as a room heater than a house heater. Guess I could run it low, and have the extra capacity when I might need it, but I don't want to overpay for too much stove for the job either. And yes, I know that pellet stoves are not SHTF-friendly since they need power and don't like generators. So this isn't strictly a SHTF recommendation, but I figure someone here might be using pellets on a smallish BO cabin or even a workshop. Thanks.

http://woodpelletstovesguide.com/

Scroll down to Buying Considerations. As a pellet stove owner, I would not recommend the cash outlay to heat a room. My home office where I sit right now is about 250 sq.ft. and I couldn't IMAGINE having an auxiliary heater in here larger than something you would get a Wal-Marx for $30-50. Even if this increases your electric bill by $20 for 4 months (would be probably 2-1/2 months here in the south), that's an extra $80 per year. Plus the few bucks for the heater. Versus $2,000 - 2,500 for even a small new pellet stove installed. $2,000 divided by $80/year = 25 years earnback time, not including the extra electricity for using the pellet stove.

Hello? Auxiliary room heater from Wal-Marx.
    Wrapped, packed, locked, & loaded…let’s go!

Good points, but I'd need to do the math to make sure it works out here in the northeast, with the highest electricity prices in the nation. I seem to recall Tennesee has some pretty cheap electricity, what with the TVA and all. Not so up here. The electricity to run the air handlers during heating season can easily add $80 a month to our bill. But even with that, running an electric heater may be cheaper in the long run.

The other factor I forgot to mention is that the classroom is upstairs and at the opposite end of the house from our woodstove, which does a great job of keeping the bulk of the house toasty all winter - except the classroom and by daughter's room, which is adjacent. I was thinking that a pellet stove would heat that whole end of the house and reduce the amount of oil we use to keep my daughter thawed out.

Thanks for the analysis and the link. Electric space heaters may be the way to go - not very SHTF-ish, though.