Thread: Need Plans to build Gun Locker or Safe

Default Need Plans to build Gun Locker or Safe

Hi all Im looking to see if there is plans any where on the net to build a gun locker or a safe.

I have access to a welder and would like to make it fire proof or as much as I can so any ideas would be of great help.

Probly be easier to just buy one, you can get em used sometimes. Look on craigslist, save money on shipping and pick it up

also look for sales after chirstmas from Gander Mt or Wal Mart or whatever

You have any idea what materials you want to use? If you want fireproofing the easiest will be sheetrock. 2-3 layers of 5/8" will work. If you want to get fancy you can get rock wool as an insulator. That stuff you would get between the outer plate and the inside layer of rock. You would need to weld in some "z" flashing to have somthing to screw or glue the sheetrock to.

What kind of welding machine do you have access to? SMAW, GMAW, GTAW? How are your welding skills? Whats the duty cycle for your machine? When I start a weld I don't like to stop untill the weld is done. If you get the machine too hot it'll shut off or burn up. One sucks and the other is really bad.
    Whats the capacity of your shear for cutting the steel plate?
    I could design it for you and send you plans. I do sheetmetal for a living and I have all kinds of fire rating info. Even access to OSHPOD spec books.
    Building a safe sucks, here in Cali the safes need to be "approved" by the commies in "Suckramento". I could build a way better safe but it won't satisfy them.
    If your looking to beef up an already exsisting cabinet, I would go with a Knack double door gangbox. Then you could glue sheetrock to the inside and weld in some 16 or 18ga galvi panals for a little more security. Those aren't burgler proof but torches or a deck saw are just about the only fast ways in.

+1 on the sheet rock.

If you are looking at cost, it will not be any cheaper to build a safe as apposed to buying a safe. You can pick up a decent, basic gun safe in the $600 range; I would almost guarantee that your material costs would run more than that (don't for get you need a secure way of locking it). One thing that I have considered doing is making a safe room (not in the traditional sense). Have a steel reinforced room (especially the door and door frame) with multiple layers of sheet rock in the walls ceiling and floor (if it is not in a basement room). Inside the room would be a safe for the valuables, documents, and most firearms, while outside the safe would be the overflow of firearms, ammo, reloading equipment and the such. Aside from having redundancy of security, you have made it virtually fire proof, you have a secured room to go to in case of a home invasion, and you have made a giant Faraday cage for any electronics.

hick
    Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither

it is actually cheaper to make a fire rated room than to buy a large fire rated safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    it is actually cheaper to make a fire rated room than to buy a large fire rated safe.
    Hide it in plain sight. Get an old refridgerator and put a good hasp and a large lock on the side. Pull all the racks and store your guns there. In a closet off your fireproof room, have an access panel to the ceiling. Store guns inside the panel and put a few nails on the topinside of the closet where you have to enter it, turn around and look up to see. Hang a couple of pistols off those nails. DON'T TELL ANYONE ELSE OUTSIDE YOUR FAMILY WHAT YOU DID.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    yup use the spot under the stairs or hall closet to block off part of a larger closet.

Default gun cage

I was thinking about a gun cage but u couldnt keep humidty and moisture out.

You can purchase u.s.army arms room locks at many army surplus stores. Some times at the sportsman guide. Zanottiarmor.com