Thread: Jerry cans, fuel storage, color codes

Default Jerry cans, fuel storage, color codes

I picked up several German issue NATO jerry cans from cheaperthandirt.com after seeing my initial order was in impecable condition.

All the nozzles though were white colored. Kind of an off-white, though, almost tan.

I looked up color code standards and white is liquid oxygen, and tan is potable or disposable water.

Now, there's no rust in the cans or outside. They also all had fabric tied on to the mouth of the can, and then the lid clamped down on top of that. So if it was the case where it was water, I'm not concerned.

My question is, on the off chance it was liquid oxygen, could I even use these cans for diesel and or gasoline storage?

Second, would liquid O2 even be stored in a jerry can? Wouldn't it be stored in a WAY more robust, and more importantly, temperature controlled container?

Any thoughts here?

-maetl

I pulled up an address on the net for that stuff. Special containers are required for that stuff as the boiling point is so low.

Liquid O2. Kind of a cool read.

Link should answer any questions you have. Enjoy!

Red = Gasoline
    Blue = Kerosene
    Yellow = Deisel

That's all I know.
    KGB - 01FFL $20 Transfers in the Indianapolis Area

the nozzle color shouldn't matter, the color of the can does

Is it possible the color may have been Yellow but was bleached due to sun exposure? Same with the Tan?

interesting.

I just picked up 2 metal Jerry cans marked for water. Any reason I cant use them for fuel?

MILLER, I think you may be on to something here. However, wouldn't the same then be true for the rest of the can? They are brand spanking new-looking olive drab.

Then again, I'm sure they used the same paint for these cans as they did on their vehicles, so the primary OD color would definately outlast any other paint used.

Ah well, assuming their washed out real well, I guess we'll try it out.

Now here's the other question:
    Can I use a little gasoline to wash out a can to be used for diesel? (Thought being diesel wouldn't be "solvent" enough to get any nasty's out of the can)

TNTitan, yes you can use them for fuel, just look inside with a flashlight. There's a tanish yellow lining that should look ok before you put fuel in there. If it's rusty, you may want to think twice, as you will notice leaking at the seams of the can (where the sheet metal is welded together).

If they're in good shape, though, no reason at all why you couldn't use them for fuel.

Rinse it with gas then dispose of that, let it dry and rinse it with a little diesel and dispose of that. Should be fine after that.

i have a metal jerry can that has some rust in it, what should i do to clean it an or seal it?