Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska What to expect?

Default Alaska What to expect?

Hello, I am thinking about moving to Alaska. I am really sick of being surrounded by all these sheep in Denver. So I have put a few applications in to various companies in Alaska. I was wondering besides the extreme cold in the winter and dark days in winter. What are some other things I would need to prepare for before moving up there.

Enviornmentalists moving in from California

Nights-six months long??? Hey honey I'm going to the bar for the night!!

All joking aside, it all depends upon where you want to move to. I've lived on both ends of Alaska, and know first hand what the climates are like. In Fairbanks area, be prepared for a loooooooong cold winter. Granted, it's a dry cold, and not as harsh as the Nebraska winters. But it's still cold. It takes special oils and grease in your vehicles, and you have to be prepared, for a long drawn out -40 degrees,for weeks on end. The story about long nights are not quite true. In the Fairbanks area, you have about 4 hours of "almost" daylight in the dead of winter. And of course the reverse is true in mid summer. It doesn't get completely dark.
    On the other hand, in the Anchorage area (otherwise known as the Bananna Belt, to their northern neighbors) it's a complete different ballgame. Temps are moderate, and winters more enjoyable. Do your research, before jumping in with both feet.

Perhaps read Arctic Homestead, if you are considering being out "in the country".

I jumped in w/o knowing anything..Wouldnt have had it any other way..been a great adventure and I love it here..Will be my anniversary soon....no income tax..gun laws are the best..more outdoor stuff to do then you can fathom....oil check each year....if you need..contact me too..be happy to help...

rucksack72@googlemail.com

Yeah the environmentalist have been ruining this great state and it is too much to handle. The taxes and social welfare programs are just crushing the middle class here not to mention the riduculus HOA's and they quasi dictatorships they run over the subdivisions.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Thanks for the info from all the posters I just really hope I get the job.

Thumbs up Land

You can buy land right from the state of Alaska.

Here's the website:

www.state.ak.us

Never Down and Out.........
    Always Ready..................

That's a good one,.........expect the unexpected, if you haven't spent any time up there. Be prepared to spend mega-bucks more for everything.

Gas is $3.26/US gallon there today......in Anchorage. More outside of the city limits!

Used to live in Anchorage. Summers were easier than in the lower 48, lots of wild game and tons of sun and rain to grow stuff. Winters took more work to prep for, but were not impossible. Only reason I left was due to military transfer. I should have ETS'ed there.