Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska What to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    That's a good one,.........expect the unexpected, if you haven't spent any time up there. Be prepared to spend mega-bucks more for everything.

Gas is $3.26/US gallon there today......in Anchorage. More outside of the city limits!

Mega bucks more? Bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Geo Beach is full of drama...

I haven't noticed much of a dif between here and on the east coast where i came from...

What's your occupation?

Military?

I am in Law Enforcement in the Denver Metro area and I am hoping to get on with the State Patrol up in Alaska.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Do many people use Hydroponics to grow food during the winter?

I got a buddy who in the last two months packed up everything in the world he owned, loaded up his Cherokee and moved to Alaska. He wanted to get on with a Law Enforcement agency up there but most of them are on hiring freezes or just have cut back this last year. He would up working at Sears but has finally found a gig with the state corrections dept, he's going through the final hiring process now and says they pay really good. I know I've seen a few police job openings up there from time to time but if it's really hard to find a job you may want to consider what he did and look into corrections if you wouldn't mind that kind of work.

lamentingwarrior, your chances at making the AST depend entirely on funding, Which is a little iffy at the moment for a number of reasons. If you think you might like to do something else, there is a new correctional facility being built in the MatSu Borough, and the Dept of Corrections is going to need staffing within a couple years. JMO, of course.

Yeah to be honest I am just sick of doing the corrections thing. I have been a deputy sheriff in our detentions division and definately have been there long enough to last a lifetime of corrections work. But I signed up for Alaska Highway Patrol Academy which is going on August of 2010 so I will find out whether I am going to get the job or not sometime in May or June of next year. But thanks for all the advice on this thread I really apreciate it.

Do people still make a decent living up there as a pilot? I've thought about getting a pilots license just in case I ever went to Alaska.

I'm sure if a pilot doesn't have very good solid background he'd likely be dead meat up there, but I've heard those guys can do well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Traprr View Post

You can buy land right from the state of Alaska.

Here's the website:

www.state.ak.us

I don't see anything on that page that suggests that there is land for sale.

Please, a little more direction.

you can buy it online...
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/
    The Federal Reserve, Stealing the American Dream since 1913