Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water - A Primer

Quote Originally Posted by MOlivo View Post
    Bleach effectively kills bacteria and viruses, stops smells and then breaks down.
    Bleach is actually one of the least effective means of treating water. For example there are a number of round worm cysts that are completely unaffected by bleach. They either must be destroyed by boiling or filtered out of the water. For example a large percentage of raccoons carry the roundworm Baylisascaris which is completely impervious to bleach (lye will kill it) and can persist for over two years in the environment depending on conditions. If a human contracts Baylisascaris it generally leaves the intestines and eats its way though your other organs including the brain.

So if you know the water was clean and you are just trying to spruce it up a bit then bleach or chlorine is not too bad. If you have any questions about the water boil it, use an appropriate filter (less then 1 micron), distill it, use ultraviolet purification (using a light or SODIS), or cross your fingers.
    Last edited by carl.net; 08-10-2010 at 09:26 PM.

How slim are the options of severe long term water usage? Like a total collapse scenario. Like how long do the tablets last? How long do the filters last? How long is bleach active for?

Things like this are important as well IMO. We'd all need to learn how to collect and treat water in a severe long term situation.
    ...we prepare for war like precocious giants, and for peace like retarded pygmies.

Boiling and distillation are my preferred methods. Filters are OK but they clog. I also don't like the idea of only a physical filter. I like chemical and biological filtration combined with physical best, but then you get into really expensive setups.

Activated Charcoal (Carbon) is great but looks/tastes like crap. The water purification tablets take time to work. Really, I think you need to try a combination of all these things and then some. All water tastes different depending on the purification method and source.
    Do or die, there is no try

Does anyone have guidelines on how long water should be boiled before it is deemed as "safe"? After looking at all the options, If you are needing to treat water for the long term, this seems to be the only method that doesn't require "stuff" that is manufactured using modern technology.

What I mean is, once you run out of bleach, or tabs, or filter cartridges, you are done...therefore I think boiling or distilling is the only really long term solution that I see? Is there an advantage to distillation vs. boiling? Can boiled water still contain dangerous contaminants? Can you do a combination of boiling AND distilling to capture whatever water is released as vapor from the boiling process?

And one more thing. Practice conserving now. Live off your stored water for a day or a weekend and get the hang of it when it isn't a life or death situation.

Default I recommend the PolarPure water purification system

PolarPure is a iodine crystal based system that comes in a small bottle that can purify 2000 quarts of water. I have used it in the past for backpacking. It does not have a limited shelf life so in my opinion it is a much better solution than pills. The way it works is the iodine pellets inside the bottle dissolve to a certain degree. You pour just enough of this into a quart to purify, refill the bottle, then after a short time, when the iodine has dissolved you are ready to purify another quart. For a small bottle with vitually unlimited lifetime, I find it hard to beat. Try buying, carrying and storing enough pills to purify 2000 quarts.
    I've got two of these bottles and plan to acquire another. It should keep my family drinking safe purified water.
    You can buy online.

This year I made the effort to steralize my pecan nuts , I found that to kill TB Tuberculosis you need to add 1 3/4 cups of clorox to 1 gallon of water. This a strong dose but it kills everything ,then run it thru charcol filter like a brita pitch filter to scrub out the clorox . Oh let stand 10 min. then filter, if you can wait let it air out to weaken the clorox before flitering.

Quote Originally Posted by airdrop View Post
    This year I made the effort to steralize my pecan nuts , I found that to kill TB Tuberculosis you need to add 1 3/4 cups of clorox to 1 gallon of water.
    I must admit that after eating hundreds of pounds of pecans over my life time I have never heard of a TB danger in relation to the nuts. Did you accidentally paste part of another post into this one?

in the site I got it gave different mixes to cover different bugs an TB was the hardest to kill, so if you want to kill everything I guess you go with that dose. It's strong but like I said let it air out or filter to taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
    I must admit that after eating hundreds of pounds of pecans over my life time I have never heard of a TB danger in relation to the nuts. Did you accidentally paste part of another post into this one?

Working on filling out some notecards and notebooks for reference. Looking around for suggestions on how much water to have per person for day but no luck so far. It was talked about in this thread some 6 months ago or so but never posted. Anyone care to enlighten me on this matter?

Thanks in advance!
    Tiocfaidh ár Lá