Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal water bottles; any thoughts?

Default Metal water bottles; any thoughts?

wife got me one of those metal water bottles, I guess the plastic is now bad

well here are the bad points I see :

can't mircowave ( duh its metal )
    can't dishwasher ( I like to sanitize at 1100 deg )
    I guess you could not heat water at a campfire with it either
    noisy as hell, if you clip it to your belt or pack
    only holds 25 oz, and you can toss a plastic bottle after 25 oz
    nice cheezy carabiner clip, lucky it will hold the weight of the bottle alone in heavy brush...
    . any thoughts or did I over look the good plastic somehow ???

First thing to verify, is if it's stainless or aluminum. Many of the aluminum bottles were made in China whilst the whole "let's put lead in everything" was going on. Check VERY closely on those stickers/tags and make sure there's no lead warning. I have one that's stainless, and it doesn't mind the campfire too much. (The top has to be removed on mine, otherwise the seal will melt.

If it's aluminum, expect it to WORK in a campfire, but don't expect it to be pretty/shapely afterward. I've just had poor luck with aluminum gear in general.

But it does indeed have one advantage over plastic: it will, in fact, whether aluminum or not, allow you to boil water on a campfire. (Provided you don't leave the top on yours. My first one didn't make it. Yes, I'm fully aware it was stupid...)

I doubt you could put a nalgene bottle next to a camp fire to melt snow for water, while a single wall stainless bottle should do nicely for that trick. However, living in Florida may limit your exposure to snow too.

iv got a stainless bottle that i use for camping and boiling water to clean it its a great, i got mine at bass pro awhile back
    Give me death or give me liberty

A stainless one can be used to make hot water by simply painting it black and sitting it in the sun. Beware of aluminum. aluminum exposer has been linked to alzhiemers. Also you can take a good stainless bottle and heat water on the engine block.

good news : its stainless
    bad news : it was made in China

its black in color so I guess I could some what heat water in the sun, but bet a camp fire will mess up the finish

it was only $ 4.99 she left the price sticker on there, she said Costco has them 2 for $ 9.99, and they are silver ( prob stainless in color ) anyways, I gonna do some torture testing with this one, I try seeing if the sun will heat it and to what temp, and I need to burn some brush in the next few days so there is my campfire experiment.....sorry no snow to melt here in FL

for the life of me I can't understand why people use these aside from being hip. Metal conducts heat far better then plastic. That means your liquids will warm up alot faster in a metal bottle then in a plastic one. But, if you like warm water on a hike... have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ravingbantha View Post
    for the life of me I can't understand why people use these aside from being hip. Metal conducts heat far better then plastic. That means your liquids will warm up alot faster in a metal bottle then in a plastic one. But, if you like warm water on a hike... have at it.
    I think it might be the ability to do more than one thing with said item. A plastic bottle will melt if you set it in the campfire to boil water. I could personally see carrying one of these to purify water before filling your water bladder.

If you're talking about the people who just have to carry a water bottle around with them at all times to be trendy, I don't understand anything they do.

I have an aluminum bottle from Hydro Flask or the name is H Flask they have a web site called five percent back it's on the bottom of the bottle. I bought it in Portland Ore and thought it was a scam but they looked cool and we wanted them for the ride home. It is double thick and the seller claimed it keep ice water cool all day. I am now a believer I have left it in my truck filled with ice water at 1000am and after 9 hours it was still cold.
    My wife's water was in the truck in plastic and hers was hot and nasty. I work in a hospital and we must use covered containers so this also fits the bill.

A water bottle is just a tool like a knife use the one for the job at the time.

Default stainless klean kanteen

The Klean canteens that have no color coating are my favorite version because they have a single walled design with which you can actually boil water. they come in larger sizes, mine is 40oz. They can handle acidic liquids so you can put drink mix in the water with no ill effects, there is no liner like there is in an alluminum one, and they dont leave any taste in the water. I'm planning to get a second one and I highly recommend one. They dont insulate well so be sure not to put hot liquids in or you may burn your hand. Overall they are the best option from the research I've done and personal use.