Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basic Bullet Casting

most .223 rifles have a twist rate that is too fast for cast bullets. shooting them in an AR is a bad idea as they'll likely disintegrate in flight. even light jacketed bullets have this problem. cast is ok in rifles with a 1:12-1:14 twist (bolt actions) when velocities are kept below 2600 fps or so.

as for the glocks, the information i've seen is there was a kaboom several years ago and glock blamed it on the cast bullets. i know many people who shoot cast bullets in polygonal barrels and never have a problem but i would suggest buying an aftermarket glock barrel with cut rifling just to be on the safe side.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

check out a forum called "castboolits.com". you will find it a place full of great info.

South Florida, last exit before the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by radali View Post
    check out a forum called "castboolits.com". you will find it a place full of great info.
    Wow an actual helpful post
    One day somebody's gonna have to make a stand,
    One day somebody's gotta say enough!

Ordered two boxes of 41 magnum 100 count each of 250 grain Cast lead....Wide Flat Nosed Gas Check bullets. These are heavy loads and am working up a load which is not to hot to handle follow up shots yet has plenty of power/penetration.

These are the first gas check cast bullets I've used and they work nicely. Very little to no leading detectable in them in a load over 1100 feet per second.

They have enough mass to do deep penetration in a hunting load.

Also ordered a box of 500 count 210 grain 41 caliber copper plated cast bullets for other uses.

This should keep me in reloading condition for this calibration for some time to come.

Orangetom