Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Bullet Casting

I haven't cast a bullet for about 10yrs. Yesterday I bought 2 1/2 5gal. buckets of wheel weights for $23! Time to dig my stuff out of storage. I can't believe that guy let me have the ww for $23! I'm gonna try to get it all cast into bullets and ingots by the time it warms up here. Mostly for .44Mag. and .45Colt. Maybe some 50cal for the ML.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I haven't cast a bullet for about 10yrs. Yesterday I bought 2 1/2 5gal. buckets of wheel weights for $23! Time to dig my stuff out of storage. I can't believe that guy let me have the ww for $23! I'm gonna try to get it all cast into bullets and ingots by the time it warms up here. Mostly for .44Mag. and .45Colt. Maybe some 50cal for the ML.

You should stay with pure lead for ML bullets. If you use traditional sidelock guns the steel is softer than centerfire barrels and you will wear the rifling quicker due to the tin and antimony in wheel weights. You'll also find starting an alloy bullet in a muzzleloader is almost impossible by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    quenching has other benefits. your bullets are cool as soon as they hit the water which means they are ready to be lubed and sized. often with pistol bullets i do this in reverse, sizing them dry and lubing them afterwards. also the harder the bullet the better it will take the rifling in the barrel and therefore the more (hopefully) accurate they will be. i will agree that it isn't necessary, but i put 150 rounds of cast bullets through my carry gun today and the bore looks like i just cleaned it (of course, the moly conditioning likely had something to do with that also).
    The problem with this though it that you will eventually lead up your sizing die and they are a complete b***h to clean. I recommend using lube before and after sizing.

I only use them for target practice. 100gr. loose 777/ .45 cal. 200gr in a Harvester sabot. No problems loading or leading. Easy and clean. 2"@100yds. off the lead sled of course.

Sorry, I may have misled ya by saying "some 50cal. for the MZ. I shoot an inline which easily handles 150grs/300gr. Hornady FTP. I don't handle that load very easy! It's not as accurate and to much recoil to bench shoot for long.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Sorry, I may have misled ya by saying "some 50cal. for the MZ. I shoot an inline which easily handles 150grs/300gr. Hornady FTP. I don't handle that load very easy! It's not as accurate and to much recoil to bench shoot for long.
    Gotcha...a whole world of difference between inlines and traditional sidelocks. I once wasted 2 hours casting .50 Lee R.E.A.L. bullets from wheel weights only to find out I had to start them with a hammer! I later learned that pure lead is the only recomendation for sidelock ML's. Using a sabot negates the effects of barrel wear caused by alloys. I recently started using sabotted 240gr. Hornady XTP's in my .50 Sidelock. They are actually .44 mag bullets. Excellent accuracy and no leading.

i use some WW REAL bullets in my sidelock, but mostly i cast and shoot round balls with a lubed patch. wear on the barrel is minimized that way.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

Thumbs up

Nice little package arrived today from Natchez. Got a couple of extra moulds, a new ladle, sizing die/allox lube, and I couldn't pass on 100 Sierra .4295/240gr.HP's for 20 bucks. I've never tried the allox on a conventional style cast bullet. I bought a 250gr.RN mould designed for cowboy action shooting in .429 to load short range target rounds for thr SBH. Next on tap is the 310gr. Keith style bullet for ringin' the gong. Hope to get out Sun. afternoon, it's supposed to be in the low 50's. Hasn't been above freezing for a couple of weeks so that will be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    i use some WW REAL bullets in my sidelock, but mostly i cast and shoot round balls with a lubed patch. wear on the barrel is minimized that way.
    I only use round balls in my TC New Englander - it has a 1:66 twist. My other rifles are all 1:48 and work better with conicals.

Great post c.f.i. a couple of questions for ya or anyone else . I just melted down some bulk pure lead? into managable ingots after reading this i think they might be to soft for rifle/pistol rounds. The lead is from construction site , the soft lead pipes that go on roofs for bathroom vents etc . Is this correct ? And what else is easy zinc to add to it if so? And one more i know lead poisening internaly is bad lol , but aren't the fumes also it looks like your set up is indoors.