Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic Reloading

what daca and groovy mike said.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

Hey all, just thought I'd drop in after a couple of years (?). Once again, I cant tell you how much this thread has helped me out not only with start up, but all the little details with reloading.
    I would like to add something here that might or might not help some of you. I recently purchased A "Lee Factory Crimp Die" for each of my calibers. I immediately noticed some improvement with consistency, both in rifle (mainly 5.56/.223) as well as with my .45acp. I never had any real issues before the factory crimp hit the line up except with pistol. I have had a few instances where I would clear my .45 and noticed that the bullet in the previously chambered round was seated deeper than normal. Not any more. I would like CFI and the other experts advise/opinions of the factory Crimp Die.

Also, I'm going to move to a progressive loader, what do you all think is a good bang for the buck?

I have used the Lee pro 1000 for 10mm and 9mm for over 20 years now. They come with a full set of dies and I added a double disk powder measure setup for more precise drops and at $135 to $145 you can get separate loaders for each caliber. For rifle calibers I have been eyeing the Lee Loadmaster. You can process 30-06, .308 7.62x54R and even the magnum calibers. Again a good value for the cost.

My BIL has a Dillon progressive and swears by it, but my budget doesn't have the stretch that his does.
    Bureaucrats are like rabid pitbulls with blinders...Its always better if you don't draw attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Daca102090 View Post
    I have used the Lee pro 1000 for 10mm and 9mm for over 20 years now. They come with a full set of dies and I added a double disk powder measure setup for more precise drops and at $135 to $145 you can get separate loaders for each caliber. For rifle calibers I have been eyeing the Lee Loadmaster. You can process 30-06, .308 7.62x54R and even the magnum calibers. Again a good value for the cost.
    I have been pondering the Loadmaster as well, Lee makes some great affordable equipment from my experience (minus my luck with their rifle dies) I dont really have room for multi set ups so i like the idea of plates set up for different calibers. thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daca102090 View Post
    My BIL has a Dillon progressive and swears by it, but my budget doesn't have the stretch that his does.
    I have the same problem, I'm afraid I'd stretch out the budget and not have anything left for components, LOL. I really do want the Dillon Case Trimmer - http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...B_Case_Trimmer , that might be a time saver for my .223 reloads, I frequently load enough of that caliber for 4 or 5 shooters.

Question: I've got some rounds loaded that will not chamber properly. I already know that the problem is that the mouth of the case was expanded too far. Is there a simple fix for this, or does in need to be completely disassembled and re-sized?

Bad news, maybe. Try seting the bullet seating die a little tighter to crimp the mouth back in a little more.

If this is a rifle cartridge like .308 or 30-06 it might me that the case is a little too long for where the seating die was set and this bulged the case somewhere down from the neck.

If that is the case then you need to dissasemble the cartridges and resize (without the decapping pin) then reassemble with being sure the seating die is properly set for the lenth of the cases.
    Bureaucrats are like rabid pitbulls with blinders...Its always better if you don't draw attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Droid View Post
    Hey all, just thought I'd drop in after a couple of years (?). Once again, I cant tell you how much this thread has helped me out not only with start up, but all the little details with reloading.
    I would like to add something here that might or might not help some of you. I recently purchased A "Lee Factory Crimp Die" for each of my calibers. I immediately noticed some improvement with consistency, both in rifle (mainly 5.56/.223) as well as with my .45acp. I never had any real issues before the factory crimp hit the line up except with pistol. I have had a few instances where I would clear my .45 and noticed that the bullet in the previously chambered round was seated deeper than normal. Not any more. I would like CFI and the other experts advise/opinions of the factory Crimp Die.

Also, I'm going to move to a progressive loader, what do you all think is a good bang for the buck?
    i use factory crimp dies for everything, they're great!

go with the loadmaster from lee. the pro1000 is pretty good, but takes a lot of tinkering to get it to run smooth.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

I'm fine with a single stage press.Got a MEC600jr for the 12ga.I don't mind deprimeing my brass then putting it in the tumbler for a few hours.Then I re-prime and flare the mouth.
    Next day i may charge and seat the boolit.I do 100 at a time and reload more than I shoot.Going to a small gunso tomorrow to get more brass and powder.
    When Death looks you in the eye and smiles,smile back with a 45.