Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    remington, to each his own. all i can say is i don't want to take the chance. of course, i don't use either 9mm OR glock so the question is moot.

My Glocks are .40s.

sorry, i don't use .40's either. if it is smaller than a .45 i don't want it.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

CFI thanks - I will look him up. I've never had a problem seating regular large rifle primers in berdan primed brass. That's why I bought the decapper - I used it on a lot of .303 cases and after swaging the primer pockets, large rifle primers fit just fine. Maybe Russian ammo is different?
    I would prefer not to bother with berdan cases, but unless I can find a supply of boxer primed 7.62 x 54R brass, I won't have much choice other than buying factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    sorry, i don't use .40's either. if it is smaller than a .45 i don't want it.
    Ha, you sound like me about 5 years ago. Now I have more .40s than .45s. Jump on the band wagon CFI, you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 7400 View Post
    Ha, you sound like me about 5 years ago. Now I have more .40s than .45s. Jump on the band wagon CFI, you know you want to.
    no thanks.

actually, i'm looking to move up...i see either a .45-70 or .500 magnum revolver in my future.

that's good to know RL, i have been hankering for another .303...
    Last edited by Christian for Israel; 01-19-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

Ok, so i got my lee classic loader for .308 last week, i made a bunch of bullets, and didnt blow myself up. But I have some cases that even after i pound em into the sizing die, they fit too tightly in the chamber of the rifle, and i have a hell of a time getting em to eject. Also the inside of the sizing die has two streaks of wear, that makes me worry i might ruin the thing. Any thoughts?

I am shooting em out of an FAL, so i guess i could just reload em anyway, and open up the gas tube for some extra ejecting power, but for some reason that seems like a really bad idea to me. Should i just toss the ones that dont fit well after resizing?

Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    Ok, so i got my lee classic loader for .308 last week, i made a bunch of bullets, and didnt blow myself up. But I have some cases that even after i pound em into the sizing die, they fit too tightly in the chamber of the rifle, and i have a hell of a time getting em to eject. Also the inside of the sizing die has two streaks of wear, that makes me worry i might ruin the thing. Any thoughts?

I am shooting em out of an FAL, so i guess i could just reload em anyway, and open up the gas tube for some extra ejecting power, but for some reason that seems like a really bad idea to me. Should i just toss the ones that dont fit well after resizing?

Sounds like you haven't full-length sized the cases properly. It also sounds like you aren't lubing the cases properly. What type of lube are you using? I only use the spray lube because it's easy and thorough. Also you must use a q-tip and lube the inside of the cartridge neck where the sizing button passes. If you are using a lube pad instead of a spray lube you are probably not applying enough lube to the case - however, too much lube will cause the case to develop "wrinkles" in the brass. This is why a spray is better - it's almost impossible to apply too much lube becasue the spray lube is like an oil, not pasty like the other stuff. Next, be sure your sizing die is adjusted properly. Be sure you put the shell holder in the ram before adjusting the die! Bring the ram to the top of it's stroke and screw the die down until you feel it contacting the shell holder, then lower the ram and screw the die in another 1/4 to 1/3 turn. A properly lubed case in a properly adjusted die SHOULD NOT have to be forced into or out of the die, and should NEVER leave marks on the wall of the die. For Semi-auto's like your FAL, you MUST full-length size to bring the brass back to spec or you will have FTF and FTE issues. The opposite is true for bolt action guns where you want to fireform the brass to the chamber dimensions and then only neck size the brass. If you have two different .308 rifles, one a semi, and one a bolt, you should isolate the brass so you don't mix them up.
    PS - Occassionally you should disassemble your sizing dies and clean out any built-up lube or carbon fouling with a q-tip and degreaser like GunScrubber.
    Last edited by RL357Mag; 02-01-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Thank you. It probably is the length. I am using plenty of spray lube, so i dont think that is the issue.

I'm using the lee classic loader, so no ram, just the die, and a rubber mallet

Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    Thank you. It probably is the length. I am using plenty of spray lube, so i dont think that is the issue.

I'm using the lee classic loader, so no ram, just the die, and a rubber mallet
    I want to get the Lee Handloader for SHTF. But for regular reloading you would do better to get the cheap Challenger Press - it's about $40 and will save you much time and sweat....and get the job done in half the time.

Also, sizing dirty cases is difficult at best, and will eventually lead to you cleaning each case by hand. A better approach is to buy a tumbler. Your brass will be as clean as new brass. I tumble brass twice, before sizing and after sizing (before loading). It is important to get all the lube off of the case before shooting, especially in semi-auto's as the lube will gum up your chamber walls. MIDSOUTHSHOOTERS.COM has a tumbler for $29.95 - cant beat that price.
    Last edited by RL357Mag; 02-02-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Another question, this one is about powder for small rifle(.223). I'm looking for a cost effective powder, what do you all use, what loads the most rounds and what should I stay away from?
    I have been using H- BLC(2) and Win- 748. I have had nothing but great success with these two powders and have tried L.C. , Win and R.P Brass. I have also played with different types of 55g Boat tails also with great results. I have not yet had a failure to feed or eject, and they are very consistant in accuracy too.
    Just wondering what all you guys use and if there is something that goes a little farther as far as quantity per pound of powder. Not sure if that makes sense or not.