Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic Reloading

Thanks TKD , I will check them out. The only brass I found was made by Lapua and it costs $45 /100. That piece of depressing news made me also look for 7.62 x 54 brass since I ordered a Mod91/30 several weeks ago. Oddly enough, no one that I can find makes or sells this brass - not even Lapua. If I can't reload for it, I may have a Moisin Nagant for sale even before I shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
    That piece of depressing news made me also look for 7.62 x 54 brass since I ordered a Mod91/30 several weeks ago. Oddly enough, no one that I can find makes or sells this brass - not even Lapua. If I can't reload for it, I may have a Moisin Nagant for sale even before I shoot it!
    With the 762x54 still availiable in 400+ rd battle packs for $90ish, you shouldn't have to reload much anyway. $0.20 +/-
    My shoulder doesn't let me shoot my 91 or 44 for too long. That makes the ammo last longer. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Leper View Post
    With the 762x54 still availiable in 400+ rd battle packs for $90ish, you shouldn't have to reload much anyway. $0.20 +/-
    My shoulder doesn't let me shoot my 91 or 44 for too long. That makes the ammo last longer. lol
    I just hate buying that cheap steel cased crap. I bought 700 rds. of Hungarian 7.62 x 39 for my SKS and it's not target shooting material. I imagine the cheap 7.62 x 54 ammo is the same in terms of accuracy. I generally reload everything I shoot because I am really into accuracy now more than slinging lead downrange. Does the Moisin have that much recoil? I shoot several .30 caliber milsurp rifles that are comfortable to shoot because of their weight, like the Enfield, Spanish FR-8, and Swedish Mauser.

privi-partisan ammo is usually reloadable...you might want to check and see of their x54 stuff is.

i've picked up some 300 rounds of x39 win brass at the range over the past couple of years. i also bought a bunch along with the lee dies from a gunshop in the area a while back. i also just ordered an extra 1000 rds of winchester loaded ammo that i'll be able to repack when it's used. btw, i paid $220 for it...shipped.
    Last edited by Christian for Israel; 01-16-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    privi-partisan ammo is usually reloadable...you might want to check and see of their x54 stuff is.

i've picked up some 300 rounds of x39 win brass at the range over the past couple of years. i also bought a bunch along with the lee dies from a gunshop in the area a while back. i also just ordered an extra 1000 rds of winchester loaded ammo that i'll be able to repack when it's used. btw, i paid $220 for it...shipped.

$220 for 1000 rds. of Winchester ammo? Where can I get some? Two years ago I paid $14.95 for 20 rds. of Win. 123gr. SP at Wally World..and I just paid $229 for 700 rds. of HotSHot.
    I used to pick-up brass at the range, but I haven't been to a public range in almost 20 years. I will check Prvi-partisan however, thx. Actually Wolf Gold is made by PRVI , it's made in Serbia, but I can't find it in 7.62 x 54.
    Last edited by RL357Mag; 01-17-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian for Israel View Post
    to each his own. while i steer clear of glock brass i DO reload boxer primed steel wolf cases. i have some that are going on their fifteenth reloading without a crack or problem.
    Yeah, buddy of mine loads Wolf .45 ACP steel in a Dillion 550 progressive. He said that a handful got mixed in with his brass and he didn't catch it until after he ran the first batch. Since it didn't mess anything up he has continued to load them.

I just read in the "Gun Digest Book of the Glock" by Patrick Sweeny that your chances of experiencing a Glock KB even with reloads is something like 1 in 3 million. Most KBs are a result of either A. Bullet Setback or B. Lead bullets.

Not trying to jump you CFI but I am going to respectfully disagree with you on reloading glocks/glock brass.

Quote Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
    Thanks TKD , I will check them out. The only brass I found was made by Lapua and it costs $45 /100. That piece of depressing news made me also look for 7.62 x 54 brass since I ordered a Mod91/30 several weeks ago. Oddly enough, no one that I can find makes or sells this brass - not even Lapua. If I can't reload for it, I may have a Moisin Nagant for sale even before I shoot it!
    Some of the older 54 stuff is brass cased.....and corrosive. My local boom shop had several tins of 54R for $95/700 or $120/650 already on strippers. Both of them were brass cased, and he told me they were Boxer-style primers. I am contemplating a Mosin, but the only domestic ammo manufacturer right now is Winchester....at $24.95/20 box. I can still get 7.62x39 hunting loads in several brands from domestic manufacturers for between $10 and $15 per 20.

Still need a Murray's FP, though. My Chicom punches holes in the primers on domestic stuff. Eats Wolves and Bears without any problems.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    Some of the older 54 stuff is brass cased.....and corrosive. My local boom shop had several tins of 54R for $95/700 or $120/650 already on strippers. Both of them were brass cased, and he told me they were Boxer-style primers. I am contemplating a Mosin, but the only domestic ammo manufacturer right now is Winchester....at $24.95/20 box. I can still get 7.62x39 hunting loads in several brands from domestic manufacturers for between $10 and $15 per 20.

Still need a Murray's FP, though. My Chicom punches holes in the primers on domestic stuff. Eats Wolves and Bears without any problems.
    Thx Lone Eagle. It looks like I will be stocking up on the brass cased stuff if I can find it. Somewhere I have a berdan decapping tool.

What gas checks do you guys use for the 7.62?

i use regular .30 cal gas checks for the 7.62x39 (.310 same as the x54).

RL357, the guy's a member at wshtfmilitia...name's 1911acp. btw, decapping berdan cases is the easy part...finding replacement primers is next to impossible (not to mention that there are half a dozen different sizes out there...large and small boxer primers with the anvils removed only fit SOME of them).

remington, to each his own. all i can say is i don't want to take the chance. of course, i don't use either 9mm OR glock so the question is moot.

lone eagle, try a bit before you buy a whole lot and make sure it's boxer as i've never known ANY milsurp x54 ammo to be boxer. as for primers, try wolf...they're less expensive and work great.
    "Glocks may well work everytime, but they have all the beauty and character of a black rubber doorstop." - Rice Paddy Daddy