Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Underground shelter: earth bag

Default Underground shelter: earth bag

I am currently working on my first shelter. It is constructed of sandbags, commonly referred to as earthbags, and has an inside diameter of 14 feet, giving me a little over 150 sq feet of usable space. I have been working on this off and on for a month now. Hopefully will be begining on the roof with a week or two. The floor is about 7 feet under ground level so once I am completed it shouldn't be noticeable.

this is after the first couple of days

this one and the next couple are at 4 feet wall height

I am currently at 5 feet high with 2 more to go. I have just over 500 sandbags in it now and about 200 more to go. Thanks for letting me share!!

Wow, Thats cool! Do you have a picture or diagram of how the roof is formed?

With a little bit of an elevated room that would be one he** of a fighting position.
    "a warrior is not proven only in combat, but also in life. He lives by a code,....... Combat is an extension of that code, not the source." Justin Smith

That is pretty cool. What are your thoughts for the entry way? What kind of door are you planning?

Will the bags self support once they are loaded up on top? I know that they'll of course be back-filled but, is there any support required on the inside of the circle? I'd love to see the roof structure step by step.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

I would like to see the roof construction as well. All you need now are some grenade sumps!

Nice job on shelter

For others asking for info
    Here is a link to a site dedicated to earth bag building. http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/index.htm the roofs are rather interesting to see.

Thanks for putting up the link oiii88. I will actually be doing my roof differently than standard simply because I will be putting dirt on it. I will put up pics as I go, but the essence of it will be a center pole within the structure that will be supporting (4) 4x8 beams that will quarter the space and I will then subdivide that even more with additional supports, followed by 3/4 inch plywood and then plastic and dirt.
    VintageJeeper, I will take close up pics as I get to that part so that you can see clearly.
    AK474U, I will be supporting them from the inside with the joists. The beams will be placed on my last full course and then I will sandbag in between the beams as well to "wedge" the beams and give it rigidity at the top.

Dogcar3, I haven't given it a lot of thought yet, for now I just want to get a door system on it that won't leak, but I have thought about some more solid options in the future. I am looking to finish it so that my family can utilize it for hurricanes this year. I have to work during storms, and putting the family on the road to somewhere gets expensive and nerve racking, so we solve both problems right here!

Call me crazy, but you stated this was for Hurricane season... Won't this just flood when the water table rises? Or is there a plan for that? How do you protect against flooding? I guess I just can't see this being an option during a hurricane. At least not in FL, but I don't know your location so maybe it does make sense, dunno.

I am in the NW portion of the panhandle DeadliestKatch, and pretty close to the Alabama line to the north. I am about 300 feet above sea level with a predominately sand soil. It drains very well, but that is a serious consideration I looked at before building. We had some storms come through a couple of weeks ago that dropped several inches of rain in a short period of time, within 20 minutes of the rain stopping I went to check the hole and all the water had perked out already, no puddles.