Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Underground shelter: earth bag

As sandy as that soil is a treated raised floor should keep your goods dry.Very nice job.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing with us. Looking forward to the roof close ups.

Air circulation? Heat and light?

Have those figured out as well caster, I will have (4) 3" pipes from the outside running along the outer wall to the bottom of the wall and then into the living space for inflow, then I will have multiple vent pipes exiting the top of the walls to the outside for outflow. For lights I have found a solar panel kit with (3) 15w panels and two cfl 12v bulbs and the connection box. The panels will charge a 12v battery enough to run the lights for 10 hrs on one day of sun. I am also looking at installing 12v LED lights in the system for even smaller electrical requirments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyflats View Post
    I am in the NW portion of the panhandle DeadliestKatch, and pretty close to the Alabama line to the north. I am about 300 feet above sea level with a predominately sand soil. It drains very well, but that is a serious consideration I looked at before building. We had some storms come through a couple of weeks ago that dropped several inches of rain in a short period of time, within 20 minutes of the rain stopping I went to check the hole and all the water had perked out already, no puddles.
    Excellent... ok. I was wondering, cuz that would not be a good outcome. But its an excellent project... looks great!

Looks good to me, too. I am very interested to see your roof system. If this structure doubles as a hurricane shelter that roof structure needs to be super strong.

AZBill; He said he was going to cover it with dirt. That should definitely remove any wind threats. Of course, the deeper the dirt, the more protection he'll have.

where did you get those bags? brand and cost? total cost of the project?

this is a very cool idea, the wife and I have been looking for options to make a more eco-friendly house and shelter. Now to find a Floorplan that fits our desired style.

I'm a bit concerned about your foundation. I assume your sandbags are bearing walls for some of the roof structure, and as such, will support not only the weight of the sandbags, but the weight of the roof and the dirt on top of that.

You also mentioned vertical supports to handle 1/4th of the weight. Do you have footers for these beams?

While on the topic of load path, are you sure the fabric of the bottom-most sandbags is strong enough to keep these bags from bursting?

Aside from my concerns, this looks like an excellent idea.