Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Water collection from air conditioner condensation

Default Water collection from air conditioner condensation

For those people who do not have a well, and if their county or city water is disabled for whatever reason. If you have a generator, windmill or solar panels with batteries that will run your air conditioner, and if you live in a humid state like I do in Florida, you can collect plenty of enough water for drinking, cooking, manually flushing toilets and perhaps even a sponge bath by catching the run off water from your air conditioner's condensation run off pipe. Here's a video I made today that shows this working.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...99763970ssTkYM

May the force be with you.I liked the idea when I saw StarWars.
    When Death looks you in the eye and smiles,smile back with a 45.

I don't mean to be rude, but would a dehumidifier not do this more efficiently?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostsaww View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but would a dehumidifier not do this more efficiently?
    You're not being rude. That sounds like a good idea too. But in essence, that's what the A/C unit is doing. Dehumidifying the air before it comes into the house. I think the average package A/C unit being larger than the average dehumidifier, might pull more water out of the air though. But hey, whatever a person has and whatever works best, right? The whole premise though, only works if one can generate their own electricity via windmill, solar panels etc.

depending on your local situation, don't forget that a house's water heater hold 30-40 gallons of water. So if your neighbors are not comming back, drain their water heater.

If you remember "Legionaires Disease", it was discovered that the disease came from contaiminated water from the roof top A/C units at that hotel in Philadelphia, Pa.

My dad uses his to water his garden

A dehumidifier by design pulls considerably more moisture than AC. While AC is designed to chill the air moisture removal is secondary to it's intent so the condenser design isnt as efficent as that in a dehumidifier which uses less energy to remove more moisture. ALSO remember that this water MUST be treated and filtered to remove pathogens and contaminants that are concentrated in the process of condensation, before being consumed or used for bathing

That's just what I was thinking Paladin.
    Has anyone ever drank this reclaimed water.
    Gold is for the optimist, I'm diversifying into can goods

no - but it should be harmless once treated and carbon filtered. a standard whole house A/C unit will actually generate about 5+ gallons a day in my area.

a whole house dehumidier can extract up to 11 gallons a day if the humidiety is there. a typical free standing unit can extract up to 5 gallons a day (these are their rated maximums)