Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Water collection from air conditioner condensation

The reason not to drink water from dehumifiers and AC units is very simple LEAD. Water units do not use lead solder. AC and dehumidfiers use lead solder. Fish can live with a lot of lead in the system so unless you eat the fish out of the tank it may never affect them. Lead is a cummulative poison once consumed it stays in the system. A little bit may not kill you but a little over time will. Not all filters will remove disolved lead read the instruction and specification on yours if you want to use this sorce. From a health point of view why risk it. Save the water for flushing or other non potable type uses. Washing up not being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Prepare View Post
    The reason not to drink water from dehumifiers and AC units is very simple LEAD. Water units do not use lead solder. AC and dehumidfiers use lead solder. Fish can live with a lot of lead in the system so unless you eat the fish out of the tank it may never affect them. Lead is a cummulative poison once consumed it stays in the system. A little bit may not kill you but a little over time will. Not all filters will remove disolved lead read the instruction and specification on yours if you want to use this sorce. From a health point of view why risk it. Save the water for flushing or other non potable type uses. Washing up not being one of them.
    lead based solder is only used in ac units by fly by night repair men who are trying to do a job ont he cheap. it wouldnt be used by a manufacturor - the stuff (even lead - silver) produces joints that are too weak and leak. brazing or soldering with a silver based hard solder is used.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe View Post
    lead based solder is only used in ac units by fly by night repair men who are trying to do a job ont he cheap. it wouldnt be used by a manufacturor - the stuff (even lead - silver) produces joints that are too weak and leak. brazing or soldering with a silver based hard solder is used.
    That may be a modern standard but not always. But I would not base a health decision on generalities. Why take a risk that could be devestating to you, your children, or anybody else involved. If I error it will always be on the side of caution. If you need to do this then simply filter it with an appropriate filter. Personally I have made other arrangments.

If done properly though this idea has definant possibilities for those that live in the drier areas of the country. I just wonder how much electricity to water.
    Last edited by Need2Prepare; 06-18-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Cool don't waste the water from ac condensation

Why not use the water that drips from your ac drain to water your plants or surrounding landscape. You lose gallons and gallons of water from the ac drain. There is a product that slips onto the drain pipe and redistributes the water away from the foundation of your house and places it around the surrounding landscape. Check it out at www.catchadrip.com

Default Solar Water Still

Read here about some low and high tech ideas for condensing Water...

Solar Still For Water

I couldn't find the just now the Link I wanted. A sharp Inventor came up with a small Wind Turbine that drives an A/C-type unit at the base. Water collected off the Coil is suitable for drinking. It was deployed in Third World Villages. Fairly low tech, depending on your POV.

Search Results: Water From Air

As a 'sample of 1' opinion, Tin/Lead Solder is tough to find. The joints are 'dull' [Lead] looking vs. Silver Solder Joints, and the Plumber that did my Floor Heating taught me to discern them no problem. A Biz trip I made to a Fridge Manf. Plant in Decatur AL taught me that Brazing was the technique, and that was ~20 years ago. While not impossible, it would be tough to run across Lead in Coils these days, and for some time now. Again, a sample of 1 opinion...

I ran the water from my dehumidifier through the ICP at work once and the metals were within acceptable limits. I did not test for PAH's though (Plastics, etc) so if it came down to it I would put a glass jar or some other food grade container in there to catch the water.